Parent/Student Communication Folder - ProTeacher Community

Colybug

Parent/Student Communication Folder
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have heard of other teachers who have their students write a letter to their parents once a week (Thursday) telling their parents what they did that week. As a class they brainstorm a variety of ideas to write about. This helps with writing a letter and communication. Then parents are to write a letter back to their child in the same notebook. Do you do anything similar to this? If so, how do you keep all of it together? I thought about a three prong folder. They could also use this as a homework folder. What are your thoughts/ideas? Thanks!

Colybug is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do that. I put notebook paper in a three-pronged folder at the beginning of the year, with a xeroxed information sheet at the front. This is a separate folder from their homework folder. I will say that in recent years I've had less and less success with parents writing back. Maybe your population of parents will be more supportive and follow through.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeMama

"Friday Folder"
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do this...

In our "Friday Folder" one side has the stuff for the parents to look through. On the left side there is a sheet that I have typed on word that lasts about a month and is pre-dated where I write a sentence or two about what the child did over the week or any reminder I have for the parent/student. Then the parents are asked to write a note, sign, and return on Monday. In all honesty I did not have a great number of parents that wrote back. BUT I continued to do this so that I could show if a problem arose that I was communicating.

I have a communication folder folder for each student and I keep this sheet in that folder when it is filled for documentation. It has been VERY helpful in the past to have this documentation. It also helps to have a month at a time so that I can make sure that even if a child is struggling that I am writing not only "need improvement notes" but also "great job notes"
2ndGradeMama is offline   Reply With Quote

teach&inspire

Love the idea!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I might try it this year...
What if notebook gets lost???
teach&inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Colybug

Hopefully it doesn't get lost
Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The district I was in last year had them in a three ring binder that had their weekly agenda, lunch menu, homework folder, take home folder and then their spiral notebook that they wrote their letter to their parents in. I was thinking that I might just get some during the no tax weekend. I just don't think a three prong folder is going to make it through the school year.

I guess if it got lost they would get a new spiral notebook!

Colybug is offline   Reply With Quote