Polar Bear or Penguin bulletin board - ProTeacher Community

shannonNJ

Polar Bear or Penguin bulletin board
Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi - I am a new teacher and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a bulletin board using polar bears or penguins? I teach 2nd grade. I was thinking about reading Little Polar Beer by Hans de Beer but could not think of any ideas. Or if anyone knows any penguin books that I could read to my class and then incorporate that with a bulletin board. Any help would be grateful!!!!

shannonNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

chill out
Old 01-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about reading a few snowy or cold themed books you have and have the kids create book covers to other books in your classroom. You could put the book covers on the b. board with snow and a polar bear or penguin, whatever you prefer and use "Chill out with a good book."
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Juli

Juli

Penguin vs. polar bears
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We read nonfiction books about polar bears and then about peguins. We made a venn diagram comparing and contrasting. Then I had my students write which one they would like to be and why. On my board I had a polar bear on one side and a peguin on the other....

shannonNJ

Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thanks for your input- i love the ideas!
shannonNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Doris

Doris

K-4 teacher
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used white paper for mountains on either side of my board, then blue paper between the mountains which I covered with saran wrap to look like shiny ice. The penquins were made by the children out of black construction paper with a beak cut for a mouth. Some children glued pops. sticks on their feet to look like they were skiing down the mountains, others used smaller sticks to look like they were ice skating. For fun, some had their sticks crisscrossed and were upside down on the snow. Also, some were cut in half upside down to appear as though they were diving into the ice for a fish. The other side was situated to look as though the penquin was half way in the water holding a fish in its mouth. Trees can be dotted here and there and chalk can be used for a snow storm. Lots of fun!

kwh

Tacky the Penguin
Old 01-05-2006, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There's a series of fiction picture books about Tacky the Penguin that are really cute! You could definitely tie those in.... I love Chill Out with a Good Book! There's also Mr. Popper's Penguins, which is a bit higher level but could be used as a read-aloud - hope these help
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Holly

Holly

1st grade teacher
Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do a bulletin board with penguins and it says "School is Cool." The students make a penguin and write why they think school is cool. The writing is on a round piece of writing paper (pre-cut) and that makes the belly of the penguin.
C. Turner

C. Turner

Penguin Books and bulletin board
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My favorite penguin books are (non-fiction) The Emperor's Egg, by Martin Jenkins, or (fiction) Tacky The Penguin, by Helen Lester and Cuddly Dudley, by Jez Alborough. One bulletin board idea is "Slip Sliding Into the New Year" with a white background with blue forming a downward slop. Penguins would be sliding down the hill. Another is a sign saying "The Noun Pole" and penguins made by students could each be holding a sign with a noun on it, or a list of nouns pertaining to penguins (rookery, tobaganning, Antarctica, Southern Hemisphere,etc.)
Jen G.

Jen G.

Penguin Bulletin Board and Book
Old 01-24-2006, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi there, I teach first grade and we always read the "Tacky the Penguin" books for winter.
My sped teacher and I put together a bulletin board that says: "We've got our facts down cold". It has a big igloo in the middle and then we painted some penguins (we provided the outline). Then students wrote a math fact in the penguin's belly. We've received tons of compliments!
Good luck!
Risher

Risher

bb idea
Old 02-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We made penguins and fill in the blank sentences to descrie them under the title Hallway Rookery . Rookery is a large group of penguins.
DANIELCARPEN

DANIELCARPEN

Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't Forget Tacky The Penguin!