Spelling Menus - ProTeacher Community

basketball777

Spelling Menus
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a sample spelling menu they use during the school year, one that could be used for a 4th grade level(or altered a little)? Can anyone tell me how they use their spelling menu, when kids work on it(homework or early finisher/school), and when it's due?

I am making my own spelling menu(never done one before) and have 4 choices for 3 different days. I am debating whether to have it due on Friday or each day with the one of 4 choices done on the day assigned. We used to have composition books I could give them to complete spelling homework in, but we don't get as many this year, so I am not sure I want to waste the comp book on it. Perhaps I will ask them to buy one if they want for spelling.

So far choices are
Day 1: 3 times each, 2times each in cursive, rainbow words, or pyramid words
Day 2: Spelling sentences(list words 1 to 10), spelling sentences(list words 11 to 20), Write a story using 10 spelling words, Write a letter using 10 spelling words
Day 3: ABC order with all 20 words, Circle all the vowels in blue/box all the consonants in red, Write synonym/antonyms for 10 words, Hide 10 spelling words in other words

I am thinking of adding a kinetic/creative option day as well, but wondering if I should make that optional/extra credit, since I really only want 3 days of mandatory spelling. Also, I plan to have them do it for homework, and debating whether or not they can work on it if they finish their work early in class.

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Spelling Menu
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I plan to use this spelling menu as part of my word work for Daily 5. I will set a goal of 50 points for the week which is easily doable. They will have all week to work on their points during Word Work time and if it is not completed they can complete it for homework. I've never done it this way before so I'm not sure if it will be successful. Previously, I had the kids all work on their spelling activities while I worked with small groups on word sorting. That worked well for me. I tracked their points each week to maintain accountability for the work and if they weren't finished I'd assign it for homework.

Hoipe this helps
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spelling Menu.doc (38.5 KB, 192 views)
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

mindajo

Mine--feel free to steal :)
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I alternated between this spelling menu, and something else called "speller's choice" that I found on the internet. If you're interested in that one, do a search and find it. It's not mine, so I can't post it. I joke that I have adult ADD and I get tired of doing the same thing all the time, so even though it's a menu, I still would switch it up monthly. Also, I would switch out some options on my spelling menu from time to time. Some things I've had, but not on this form of the menu: write words right and left handed, write words in shaving cream/sand, draw a picture and hide your spelling words in it, write a song/rap with all your words, some others I'm drawing a blank. I tried to include all of the multiple intelligences/learning styles.

I ran a Thurs to Weds spelling week, so I gave the menu out when they got their words lists on Thurs and they were due Weds. morning. I allowed them to work on spelling: during guided reading (ind. work time while I was meeting with another group) time if they were finished with their required tasks for me, read-aloud time, and during study hall (20 minutes at end of each day). I did not have a "spelling time" other than a time slotted out for a pre- and post-test. Some got done at school and others took it home and incorporated it into their studying.

I had the kids either turn in regular notebook paper with activities written, (and printouts of computer words, flash cards, paper chain, or parent signature attached when necessary). I had one student last year (I really pushed them to be "efficient with resources") who managed to fit all activities onto the back of his 1/2 sheet pretest and turned that in! Some did their activities on the back of them menu and turned that in to be graded.
Attached Files
File Type: doc spelling menu.doc (554.0 KB, 160 views)
mindajo is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the ideas! I also like the point idea. Every year my kids don't do their spelling homework so I want to change things up a bit this year, and I think they can handle it now because I am moving up a grade, and they are more independent now

luv2lern

Mindajo and TeachNFriend
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for those great ideas!!

luv2lern is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan Teacher

Posted this before...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and I don't mean to repost, but didn't feel like (aka TOO LAZY) finding the thread and posting a link...so here is what I plan on using this year...sorry for the repost!

=)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spelling bundle.pdf (124.5 KB, 137 views)
Susan Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mastamkm

Collecting
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does everyone collect and correct spelling homework every night?
mastamkm is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used to collect it daily. But I am thinking I might just collect it on Fridays this year, being that my students are moving up to 4th grade. However I am thinking of giving them menu choices for set days, 3 days.

TeachNFriend

Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like to check them as they begin working to catch any spelling mistakes they may be making as they practice, and then after that I check for points as they finish. I'm thinking of having kids be point checkers for me so that I can continue to work with small groups without interruption. Not quite sure how that would work though.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

pgem619

One I made so feel free to steal
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach 3rd grade and expected 50 points per week. The 4th grade teacher 75 points and the 5th grade 100 points.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spelling Contract.doc (31.5 KB, 64 views)
pgem619 is offline   Reply With Quote