Student Led Conferences? - ProTeacher Community

Skelch

Student Led Conferences?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone done Student Led Conferences in Kindergarten instead of individual parent-teacher conferences? AND if so, will you tell me about it? I know about student-led as I have done it in Grade 2, but an curious about how it works in K, and what kind of checklist you might have had kids following of things to show and/or do with parents.

Skelch is offline   Reply With Quote

rlygr8

Spring Conferences
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do it every spring conference and have been doing it for over 15 years. I love it. Here's what we do.

Kinder introduces me to their parents.

I show them to their table and briefly explain. I also have a note to parents explaining how the conference goes. (I also send home a note before hand explaining.)

The child shows the parents their journal, poem book, their This is me starting in Sept, they read some of their reading books.

We do a body unit right before conferences and their "body" is sitting in a chair. The child then explains the body parts we have learned about (then they can take their "twin" home).

Throughout the year, we learn about famous artist and do an activity related to that artist. The students share their art portfolio at this time.

Directions then tell them to show parents around room, some of their favorite things to do. They also have to go play a math game with their parent.

After, they do all things on list, parents sit down, while kinder goes and gets parent a cookie and juice. While they are eating, I have a space for parent to write their child a special note about the conference or about their year. I have parents read the note to the child and then I keep them and put them in their end of the year scrapbook.

I do between 4 and 5 conferences at a time. They last from 30 to 45 minutes.

This last year, life was very crazy so I did things a little different. I had parents schedule a time frame when they could come in. So, they came during that time frame and went to their child's cubby and got everything out. They then found a place to sit to do the conference. It was not as structured and we did not have the big projects this year. There was no way that I could do my normal student-led conferences this year, but I felt good about about our modified one.

If anyone is considering this style of conference, I highly recommend it. In our district, teachers do not have to meet with every student at the spring conference. We see everyone - and I wouldn't have it any other way!
rlygr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

kpa1b2

Students at conferences
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't do Student Led Conferences as they are designed to be. We don't require students to come. I do tell my students though, if they come they will be telling their parents what they need to do better on and what they do really well. I only have between 10-15 min. with each parent. I'm always amazed at how well students know what they need to work on, they sometimes need some prompting to say what they do well!
kpa1b2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do student led conferences both Fall and Spring. I have a visual checklist that the kids use to guide their conference. I have them draw a happy face in the circle once they have shared that activity. I change the activities depending on what activities we are working on at the time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf student led conferences 1st term.pdf (236.4 KB, 41 views)
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote