Sunshine Committee/Social Committee - ProTeacher Community

Giraffes

Sunshine Committee/Social Committee
Old 07-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a letter to staff and teachers about the Sunshine Committee/Social Committee? I'm hoping that someone has one and is willing to share. TIA

Does your school collect dues per year? We are thinking if going to dues this year. We talked about $25 teachers and $15 support staff. Opinions on the costs?

Giraffes is offline   Reply With Quote

LOVE IS ...

Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry I don't have a letter to share with yout but I think I remember what what it includes...

Sunshine Commitee - member names and room numbers

purpose/what the committee is responsible for (and not responsible for)
birthdays - small treat in mailbox
death of family member - card, plant
holiday party - organize, pot luck, secret santa
new teacher's lunch - organize, pot luck
monthly treat - create sign up sheet for each wing
boss'/secretary/librarian/custodian's day - card, gift
baby/bridal shower - card, gift, party
end of the year party - organize at house or restuarant
organizing 'happy hour'
not responsible for Fall Festival, teacher appreciation, retirement party...

dues - $25 staff, $15 support

what the money will be used for
treats, drinks for parties, gifts...
LOVE IS ... is offline   Reply With Quote

SavTeacher

My first year...
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The school charged $30 for dues. I had no idea what it was for and couldn't afford the dues anyway. My husband couldn't find a job with his degree and was working nights as a stock clerk at Publix. And we had moths where we just ate ramen for awhile because it was better than losing the A/C....

I never paid them because I never had the money and every time I went to the bathroom and saw the notice on the stalls, I'd feel guilty.

Might want to make it less for first years. If they're fresh out of college a lot of times they don't have a lot of money....

Last edited by SavTeacher; 07-23-2011 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Typos...
SavTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our dues are 25 certified/15 classified. I hate it. It is not optional. If you don't pay, the head of the committee hounds you until you do. It is embarrassing, especially if you can't afford it. As a PP said, just because you are certified doesn't mean you have the money. Last year I literally had to use grocery money just to pay it, and then we were short on food that week as a result. It was not a good experience.

And then...our district will not allow us to give gift cards or cash for ANYTHING. Only tangible gifts. I don't really know what our dues were for, except to buy gifts for the admin, who could afford their own nice things, IMO. Whenever there was a death in someone's family, or other tragic event, they would send around an envelope asking for money to be donated to give to that person. Then, whenever someone got married or had a baby (2 babies and 1 wedding last year), we had a shower for that person and grade levels were expected to get a gift...and if it was your grade level member having the event, you had to throw the shower. We also had to bring food for various "social" gatherings.

So...I say all of that to say, be sure that you are specific and clear with what your dues will be used for, and use them for that purpose. You also need to check and see if there are limits to what you can do with that money. If I were to receive a letter stating my $$ would be used for x, y, and z, you can bet I would save it and refuse to pay again for any of those things. I am not a scrooge, but I am also not rolling in dough. My salary has been cut every year that I have been teaching, and my expenses have only gone up.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote