Alphabet Easter Egg Hunt - ProTeacher Community

soycandle

Alphabet Easter Egg Hunt
Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am planning an egg hunt, hopefully on the playground between recesses, for three separate kindergarten classes. I plan to write upper case letters and lower case letters in permanent marker on plastic eggs with a treat inside. When we get back to class, the children should present their eggs' letters, say the sound and think of a word that begins with that sound. Can anyone else think of any other activities I could do with this? Thanks!

Lynn

soycandle is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

Egg Hunts
Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh yeah! I've used egg hunts alot and they are great. The students love them! I've also put math concepts in the eggs (i.e. paper coins - they match up with a partner who has the amount written on it OR numbers and dot cards), spelling words we're working on, sentences for the students to read and act out, etc. I've used countries we've studied and had the students match them to the right continents...basically, anything you are reviewing in class can go in an egg. And if there's a treat in the egg your students will love it even more. However, most students love egg hunts even without the treats so you can use them frequently. I always buy the discount eggs after Easter and keep a big box of them in my storage cupboard.

Additionally, after your hunt you could have your students sort the eggs by color and determine which groups had fewer or more. They could graph the number of each color group as a class and/or individually. You could discuss eggs in science or have egg rolling activities. You could do an egg on a spoon race too.
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote
kinder world

kinder world

egg hunt
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually give each of my kindergarten students an index card with
1) their name. 2) an alphabet letter & 3) one of our high frequency words.
I explain that they can only put the eggs they find in their basket if it matches what is on their card. If they find an egg that doesn't belong to them, they are to gently put it back, so that the rightful owner can find it. I give a prize to the person who finds their 3 eggs first. It works out beautifully, because everyone ends up with the same number of eggs and it takes a little more time to hunt!

KTeachVA

Sight Word Egg Hunt
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The K team and I do a sight word egg hunt. We have students each donate 6 plastic, pastel Easter eggs. We then have a parent volunteer write on the eggs the words: I, have, my, six, little, and eggs. The eggs are hidden on the playground (or wherever) and each student is responsible for finding 6 eggs. If they have an egg with the word, I, and they find another one which says the same thing, they just put it back. This works great and the kids have so much fun!

Oh, I forgot.... When each student donates their 6 eggs, we ask the parents to fill them with candy.

Also, in case I didn't explain fully, a parent volunteer writes I on 16 eggs, have on 16 eggs, my on 16 eggs, etc. (I have 16 kids in my class.) So, students find six eggs each which spells out "I have my six little eggs."

(Sorry, I can't write too well tonight. I hope you understand. :-) )
KTeachVA is offline   Reply With Quote