What exactly does a .50 FTE teaching job mean? - ProTeacher Community

Poppy_123

What exactly does a .50 FTE teaching job mean?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I live in MN and see many job postings for a partial FTE (full time equivalency) jobs. My understanding is that this means you only work for part of the day compared to a full time teacher. So then a .50 FTE is only a half day. How does this work with pay and benefits? I am looking at elementary classroom positions and I have a hard time imagining how that would work. Have you run into this? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thank you.

Poppy_123 is offline   Reply With Quote

jen1114

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would assume if you work half time you would get half pay. As for benefits, most companies don't offer it for half time employees. I would think it's the same for schools.
jen1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amilya

Job share
Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going to be a .5 FTE this year, though not in MN I am further West. In my district the pay is exactly 1/2 of what I would get paid. 1/2 of the sick days, 1/2 of the vacation or personal days, etc. Benefits, like health insurance are substantially more, but my husband carries ours so I won't have too. The other teacher has taught longer, so her 1/2 will be more than mine. We are doing an A.M./P.M. split. She is the morning I am afternoons. Except for we both have to be to all faculty meetings, trainings, first and last day of school, and anything else they come up with. I teach writing, math, and science, and she will teaching reading, spelling, vocabulary, and social studies. A lot of the splits I've seen are mon. tues. wed. morning and then wed. afternoon, thursday, friday. The teachers teach all subjects and share the class and subjects. I will share the kids, but my grading is completely seperate. So there are different formats, even within school districts. In my state if I teach at least .5 of FTE then it qualifies as 1 full years experience toward my lane 2 license. I am not sure how that all translates in MN. I would apply, if you can get your foot in the door maybe it will help you secure a full time next year if that is what you want. Hopefully this helps.
Amilya is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It could be: job share, every other day kindergarten, or everyday half days. I'm thinking more than likely it's EOD kindergarten or everyday half days.

My understanding is that you can get benefits but you have to pay more. The district doesn't pay in as much for half-time benefits because you aren't working as many hours.

I would LOVE to work half-time IF I could get the same benefits and pay.

I live in MN as well and this is what I've heard/seen in my district.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

RF1974

I live in MN too
Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And some of the districts its a strict schedule like half day or whatever but some in the older grades vary by trimester. The last .5 I interviewed for said that some trimesters it would be 2 classes and some it would be three but overall the pay is .5 for the year.

Good luck!

RF1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

March Baby

It has been my experience
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

when I have taken half time that it doesn't translate into half of the benefits. You usually have to pay for the full cost of health insurance. For me that would be $1600 a month for family insurance since I am a single mom.
March Baby is offline   Reply With Quote