What are your weaknesses? Interview Question - ProTeacher Community

MsTeacher72

What are your weaknesses? Interview Question
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview for my first REAL teaching job and I know they are going to ask about my strengths and weaknesses?

I know my strengths are collaborating with a team, technology, creativity, and self-motivated for learning more about my field. However, I feel that I probably do not know my teaching well enough to know my weaknesses. What are some good ways of answering this question without sounding like I dont have any weaknesses (as we all do).

MsTeacher72 is offline   Reply With Quote

morahsharon

What not to say!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was reading an article that said what NOT to say!
Don't say you are a perfectionist.
Don't say my weakness is that I don't have any weaknesses!
morahsharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

weaknesses
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always thought you were supposed to say something that could be a weakness but it is one that your employer would like, for ex. "I am a workaholic". As far as teaching goes, when I feel I have a weakness (like how to teach reading or writing), I spend hours upon hours reading books, searching online etc. until I find a way to succeed. I also will volunteer to teach an inservice workshop, knowing that I will have to get good at it so I won't humiliate myself. I tend to be messy (only because I have so many books, etc.) but I would be afraid to admit that as a weakness because if the principal is a neat freak, I know they wouldn't give me a chance. So think of something that isn't too bad or that can be improved upon. Good luck!
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

acorn

chocolate
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

lol chocolate especially Lindt dark chocolate that is a weakness for me......

I used my excitement and passion about my job as a weakness saying I needed to work on balancing out my teaching tasks and life. I could spend hours in my classroom. I have taken my boys with me every other day and we only stay two hours at a time.
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Weakness
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatever your weakness is, turn it around to make it into a strength or tell how you compensate like some of the previous posters have said. If your strength is organization, tell how you cope by writing yourself notes. If it is caring too much, talk about how devoted a teacher that makes you and how you are willing to go the extra mile. Good luck!

slg is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I said something along these lines,

"Like all first year teachers, I know I can work on developing my classroom management style. Since I started student teaching, I have improved by implementing X, y, and Z but I would like to continue to study this."

I think it was good because it's something honest, I showed how I've already improved, and showed willingness to keep improving.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

weakness
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was part of the interview team for a new special ed teacher in my building and all 3 that we interviewed were unprepared to answer this standard question. I was so surprised. I like the previous poster...classroom management is always something a new teacher can improve on. Just be honest and have an answer ready.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rachelje

Lack of Experience
Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would use a lack of experience as a weakness.

Since this is your first teaching job, I think this is an obvious answer that they would be expecting, and yet doesn't sell your self short by having to bring up anything else. I used this in my interview several years ago and was offered the job...

I would say something along the lines of this, "Since I am new teacher beginning my career, I may lack the amount of experience that other teachers have. However, by utilizing my strength of collaboration with teammates and my strong technology skills, this opens me up to all the wealth of experience my teammates and other teachers have by sharing their past experiences and learning with me."
Rachelje is offline   Reply With Quote
loveteach3

loveteach3

When I interviewed...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was asked this question when I was interviewed (this is just my second year teaching), and I said, "time." I told them I knew there were so many things I was going to want to get done throughout the days, working with small groups etc, and I knew I was going to have to figure out how/what things to prioritize, and make the most of my time. Hope this helps

MrsTeacher94

I agree
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

with turning your weakness into a positive. I was asked that question. My answer was.... I can't draw!! I told them when I need to draw something, I use the overhead to help. If I need to draw during class to help a student better understand something, then I do my best. I think it is okay for the students to see that their teacher is not perfect.

GOOD LUCK!!
MrsTeacher94 is offline   Reply With Quote

MelmoB

My reply...
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just packed my statement with a ton of positives! I started by saying "I know myself very well. Part of that is knowing my limitations. I have to write everything down to keep track of it. You will often see me carrying my agenda and a list pad - everywhere!!! Even to lunch!" - and people usually laughed there so it works well.
MelmoB is offline   Reply With Quote

msladybugzz

weakness
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

"My weakness is balancing my time between work/school and home/family." This is a way of saying you are a workaholic yet, seek a better balance between the two. (and YES, this really is my weakness!)
msladybugzz is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

From an Interview List:

6. What’s your greatest weakness?

Bad answer:
“I work too hard,” or for the comedian, “Blondes.”
This question is a great opportunity to put a positive spin on something negative, but you don’t want your answer to be cliché – joking or not. Instead, try to use a real example of a weakness you have learned to overcome.

Good answer:
“I’ve never been very comfortable with public speaking – which as you know, can be a hindrance in the workplace. Realising this was a problem, I asked my previous employer if I could enrol in a speech workshop. He said “Yes.” I took the class, and was able to overcome my fear. Since then, I’ve given lots of presentations to audiences of over a 100 – I still don’t love it, but no one else can tell!”
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote