Teaching Generalization - ProTeacher Community

KSB

KSB

Teaching Generalization
Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know of a good lesson to teach generalization? I am looking for something that would really interest the students. Please let me know.

angelangst

kickball
Old 01-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of my students made the comment that "girls can't catch" during class. I turned it into a lesson on generalizations by having the boys explain why they said it. Later that day we played kickball, boys vs. girls, and every time a girl caught the ball, they would make sure to remind him of what he said. The class understands them much better now.
angelangst is offline   Reply With Quote
JennaP

JennaP

Generalizations
Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This lesson worked and the kids really enjoyed it.

We made a picture of a "GENERAL" on poster board and discussed how he
is in charge of deciding whether statements are valid or faulty. We discussed generalizations and how they are broad statements that apply to many examples. We practiced using a few statements that the kids could relate to....
ex. Most children like pizza.
All boys play sports.

We wrote a ton of generalizations on index cards and gave them to the kids. Their job was to present them to the GENERAL if they thought they were valid (we had sticky tape in place on the General for the cards) and if they were faulty they placed them in a garbage can.

As each group went up to the board they needed to prove to the General why the statements were valid generalizations.

It might sound silly, but the visual of the general really helped them remember general-izations!
Jroderick

Jroderick

teacher 4th grade
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just wanted to thank you for the information. I'm teaching generalization to my 4th graders this week and was having a lot of trouble coming up with a way to get the point across. Though I have not actually done it yet, I think your visual will really help my students. Thanks for the idea!

grade4curlyQ

JennaP
Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is a wonderful idea! I'm very visual myself and can imagine how well this will help! It sounds like if the kids thought the statement was faulty they placed it in the literal trash can. OR Did you also place a picture of the garbage can on the board as well? So the kids could see the difference between the two?

grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Gidge

Gidge

Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm currently attempting to teach generalizations to my classes. I'm working on a memory game, using notecards that they can flip and turn over. I'm trying to get a good group of generalizations that they can either match with a 'specific statement', which we've been working on as well, or whether the statement is valid or invalid, and how to make it valid. The memory game will work with this well, as would the whole General thing on the board. Thanks!
Caldwell

Caldwell

generalizations
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I loved the idea of writing general on the board and throwing away the statements that weren't general. I also have done an activity where I've cut pictures out of magazines and had students write a generalization about the picture. They did pretty well with it in a whole group setting.
MaryA

MaryA

list of generalizations
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Jenna,
This lesson sounds great. I'm an instructional coach now, and want to model this lesson. I'm having "brain lock" coming up with a bunch of generalizations. Is there a website I cuold refer to?
jaguars

jaguars

Animals
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The usually sleeps in its pen.
keidy

keidy

learning to swim
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

just like most activities swimming has certain rules that should always be followed.

mzjackson1

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow, this sounds great. I am going to try this with my kids. They really do need something fun and interesting to help them remember this concept. I am confident that it will start to stick after this. Thanks!!
mzjackson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
patti cake

patti cake

ya
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i know hahahahahahahahahaha
HollyP

HollyP

Teacher!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is an excellent lesson! I am going to use it tomorrow! Thank you so much!!
lilboss01

lilboss01

meaning
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

what is the meaning of this ? i so dont malamalama .
Jossie

Jossie

Teaching Generalization to Second Graders
Old 03-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I wrote a generalization that went along with the story that we were doing and the students had to find the supporting details that went with this genralization. For example, older children have to help their younger brother and sister. then they had to place the generalization in the middle of a chart paper. The studens worked in groups, and using a different colored marker, they had to write one supporting detail from the story. I believe that they really understood what genralization was, after this activity.