Really trying Not to be snarky but - ProTeacher Community

cheerio

Really trying Not to be snarky but
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 AM

has anyone else noticed that there have been a lot more off topic posts on the lounge- meaning teaching related posts. I usually dont really care about it but what is getting me is that many of these teaching related posts are posted by full or senior memebers who should in a way know better. I get when new members get it mixed up but if you have been around while...
I have noticed several of these the last few days. I know it's not a big deal and I can just skip over them but I dont get why members who have been here for 3 or more years are suddenly not knowing the rules. How are new people going to know if older members dont set the example?

ramble over

cheerio is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 AM

I've noticed it, too. I do skip over them, but I also wish the teacher's lounge would remain just that: The Teacher's Lounge, as defined on the homepage. It is beginning to look just like the Busy Board. There are times when I simply don't want to see teaching related posts, but I guess that is no more here in the lounge. Once people began posting teaching related topics, it just snowballed.

Oh, well. School has started so my time on PT will be limited.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 AM

In my defense my post was moved by the higher powers to this board
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
timeofyear

timeofyear

Identity crisis at this time of year (TMI)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 AM

I am having an identity crisis...had so much fun in the lounge this summer...not ready to go to "busyboard" or "vent".

The lounge seems to only be hopping at night or the weekends from early August/September to June except on holidays, snow days, fall, winter, and spring break...
() () ()

Just think for me it is like "the party's over", where do I go now?

TMI-instead of that time of the month-It is "that time of the year" for teachers. (at least me) () Early morning wake ups, daily demands, with a little fun somedays in between but you know the drill....trying to find a sense of humor...just know what some of us or most of us are walking back into.....

Think it will get better-just beginning of the year for a lot of people (hard to believe already)!

3rdgradequeen

Lounge
Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 AM

At my school, the Lounge is a place where we talk about everything: food, kids, pets, husbands, vacations, AND school. If someone is talking about dogs, I start talking about something else with a different person. I guess I kind of feel like the pt Lounge is the same. I guess "wrong board" posting doesn't bother me. Sometimes, even senior members don't realize they are on the wrong board.

3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

"I don't mean to be..."
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 AM

Really??????

This post reminds me of my dd (14) who says.."I don't mean to be..." and then she is.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It doesn't bother me at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 AM

I try to go to the recommended board when I want to post something, but personally, I'd like to have everything on one board so I don't have to go back and forth. I would say the thing that bothers me more is when people complain about someone using the wrong board to post.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Lounge
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Yeah I think sometimes teachers forget to read the directions.

Quote:
Teachers' Lounge
Take a break today! Let's talk turkey, beef, casseroles. What are your favorite movies and TV shows? Want to talk about your son or daughter's latest tantrums or teenage crushes? Share your great recipes and advice for those with concerns and pleas for help with their daily life.

For teaching advice, see one of our many other boards.
I usually try to skip them but it does irk a little when there are several because it bumps off some of the other threads more quickly. I get that sometimes people forget what board they are on, or they are excited and forget but there are so many teacher boards and sub-boards on this forum and this is the one place you are NOT supposed to talk about school.

So hopefully those teachers that break the rules, will be easy on their students when they do the same.

Last edited by new1stteacher; 08-09-2011 at 06:23 AM..

rhubarb

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM

I read them if I think I can offer support or wisdom. I am a senior member and I have done it a few times. I think the best thing is to just not let it bother you and skip over them.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 AM

The editors should really send out a post in addition to the "oops" reminders. Like at school, when we have to police ourselves (i.e. lack of admin. leadership), dissension often occurs
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote
pancakeluis

pancakeluis

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM

If it really bothers you hit the stop button and let it go. Let the editors do their job and make a choice. You must sense that this is a troublemaking post or you wouldn't have tried to qualify it.

Mr Sensai

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Come to think of it shouldn't this post be on the vent board?

Moana Mel

Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Mr.Sensai, I'm pretty sure the vent board is described as being for teaching-related vents. When you want to vent about something not related to teaching, you post it here in the teacher's lounge.

Examples:
My neighbor's cat keeps using my flowerbed for a litterbox.

My husband complained that the chicken I cooked was too dry.

My kids keep leaving dirty dishes all over the living room.

The clerk at the store short-changed me and I didn't notice until I got back home.

And so on.

I agree, I wonder why so many people don't follow the directions. I'm sure the editors would appreciate not having to move posts.

I don't see the OP as being snarky; she's just making a observation.
Moana Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Mr.Sensai, I'm pretty sure the vent board is described as being for teaching-related vents. When you want to vent about something not related to teaching, you post it here in the teacher's lounge.
I dunno as my post was moved from the Vent to here and mine was teaching related. I mean maybe the powers that be never read all of my post?

Also I see non teaching related vents often in the Vent board.

Such as this one

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=355954

NJ Teacher

Doesn't bother me at all...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

And sometimes, a post is in a gray area between the two. If you don't like it, just skip it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Doesn't bother me at all either. We're all teachers here, and sometimes it's hard to departmentalize our thoughts.
Charlotte is online now   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Never notice...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

I rarely notice the board where a post is located--I always use the read new posts option!
JulieG04 is online now   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM

I'm still fairly new around here, so it doesn't bother me at all because I guess I don't know any better. I hate jumping from board to board and forget what I posted and where so sometimes I wish it was all on one too!
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Hey, Cheerio, just hit the stop sign at the bottom of the post and report it as off topic (wrong board is what I usually post). With so many people still on vacation, I don't really think it is fair to bombard this FUN board with stuff related to setting up classrooms, back-to-school dreams, lesson plan books, and all of that. I know that I DO have the option to skip them, but we have so many boards at the website. Why not get specific information about teaching on them???? I, too, am surprised by the number of people who have been here a long time and who are posting school stuff. This is for talking turkey, ladies! Remember that!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

teacher.kate
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM

You can find all of the posts you have posted by clicking on your name to take you to your personal page. There you can find whatever posts only you posted and you can find your responses to them. It does not make sense to put EVERYTHING in one place. That would be like saying: Okay, I don't want to look for my shampoo, so I will put it into the refrigerator. Everything else goes there, too. Each post belongs in a certain place to make it easier for everybody, not harder. It is like a filing system or keeping folders on your computer. You don't just put everything into "My Documents" on your computer without creating folders, do you?

I do not intend to sound harsh, just making an observation.

unseen001

Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

If it has been posted on the wrong board, hit the stop button and say it is on the wrong board. That is the only way to get things fixed. If enough people would do that, even senior members would start to pay more attention to where they post. The stop button is not a bad thing but something we can use to help.
unseen001 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't think twice about it. Posting and reading this site is something I do for fun. I don't want to have to worry about where I'm posting and I'm certainly not going to police anyone else's behavior. Because most teachers talk about everything in the lounge at school, I can see why lots of things end up on this board. The busyboard tends to get a distinct feel this time of year and some teaching related posts seem to fit better on the lounge.

JMO
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 AM

Audriana,

The Lounge was set up to only discuss personal items, since there seemed to be a need for it to steer teachers away from posting about kids, marriages, etc. on boards where teachers have teacher concerns, requests for information about various school-related topics, and questions about school-related topics. This board should be a respite from teaching related concerns. We don't talk about personal items on the Vent, Busyboard, or grade level boards, so why should we talk about school in the Lounge?

Most of the teachers I know don't talk about teaching related concerns in our lounge, since they want to have a true break from their duties. I think it should be the same here.

GraceKrispy

Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM

The problem is that our personal lives and our jobs/careers overlap at some point. If we're really upset because we saw a parent in town who said something mean, to me that's a lounge comment, although it's somewhat related to teaching. I don't like seeing post asking for help with curriculum or classroom management on the lounge, but I don't mind posts that deal with the personal side of our jobs. Posts like "how do I tell my (school) kids I'm pregnant" for me are somewhere in between, but lean more towards the lounge.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

runamouth

Old 08-21-2011, 12:53 PM

This seems to be a non issue to me! I does not bother me at all. I don't usually notice what board I am on anyway. If I see a post that might be interesting I read it and if not them I skip over it.
runamouth is offline   Reply With Quote