making shower board dry erase boards - ProTeacher Community

vateacher

making shower board dry erase boards
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I would like for some of y'all that have made your own dry erase boards from shower board to answer a few questions:

1) Do the boards work as well as regular dry erase boards?
2) Do you have to do anything to the edges of the board to make them smooth like sanding or covering the edge?
3) How big did you choose to make the boards?

Thanks! There's only one teacher at my school that I know of that has done this and she made hers super small and covered the outside with tape. She's not someone who likes to share ideas or tips so I figured I might be able to get some help here instead. Thanks so much!

vateacher is online now   Reply With Quote

catgirl79

Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made mine about 10 years ago and they still are in good shape! I think they are about 10 by 10 or 12 by 12- they are at school, but I know they are square! I lightly sanded the edges and did put duck tape around the edges, but the tape is no longer on the edges- my students loved picking at it!
catgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2lern

shower board
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. No, they are not as good as an Expo dry erase board, but they were okay.
2. I did not put anything on the edges - they weren't splintering or too rough.
3. I made them 9 x 12" but wish I had made them a little bigger.

I used them every day in first grade for word working, dictatiion, math, etc. They stayed in pretty good shape the first year. The second year they really started staining from the dry erase markers. I think they cost me about $12 and I got 38 or 40. After the second year I threw them out. It's possible that the poster above me who was able to have them for 10 years had a better quality board than the sell now.
luv2lern is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

boards
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had mine for several years. I did the edges with red duct tape. Every now and then they need a good cleaning, but mine work great. I try not to use black expo - that one doesn't always wipe off so great. I would say go for it! Mine are 12 x 12.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

My husband cut mine . . .
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

. . . and they were about 9 x 12. He rounded the corners as a safety precaution. I didn't put tape or anything around the edges. We used them every day all day long (for brief periods), and I think they are wonderful for keeping students accountable.

Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

cyclones

dry erase boards
Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mine are on year 4 and work well. Every once in awhile I have to clean them with a magic eraser but usually just twice per year. My dh sanded the edges so we didn't put any tape on them. I can't tell you the measurements because they are at school but I needed 18 so dh just figured out how big to make 18 boards out of the sheet of shower board.
cyclones is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here are some instructions I typed up for a presentation I was doing.. I had trouble at one of the stores a couple of years ago; they said they weren't allowed to cut the showerboard anymore. I don't remember whether it was Home Depot or Lowe's, but I just went to the other store and had no problems.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Instructions for Getting a Class Set of Whiteboards.doc (20.5 KB, 101 views)
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Flappy

Dry Erase
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The custodian at my school uses a shower board to make a table top for me. He attaches a small board strip around the outside of the bottom so it's stationary. He lightly sands the edges to prevent snagging. The leftover board can be cut into individual boards. Over the years I have seen a real difference in the quality of the board. Some will last one year but others last much longer. I guess you get what you pay for.
It works beautifully with small groups and the children love "writing on the table". I would hate to have to give it up.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote

ang6073

mark-r-board
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Lowe's sells mark-r-board which was on an endcap near the shower board. It cost the same as the shower board but it's only about half the size. I didn't need a whole class set so I opted for the mark-r-board because I figured it would work better and last longer. Lowe's cut my board for me without any problems. I cut mine into 8 pieces and they're about 12 x 16. A little bit big but I teach special ed and sometimes the kids need bigger spaces. The edges didn't chip or splinter at all. They could be sanded but I think they're fine. This will be my first year using them so we'll see how they last.
ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL1

Shower boards
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have used them for the last few years in my class. Home Depot would only cut them to 12x12 size due to store policy. Beats me on that one. I used bright duct tape around the edges so I wouldn't have worries about sanding, etc. They worked just as well as my regular dry erase boards!

I also gave them out as part of the students' Christmas gifts one year along with books and a dry erase marker. They loved it!
TLL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Mine have held up for years. They started out as a wall white board. Somehow I got some nicks on them (I think from brooms, etc. being leaned up against it) so I replaced it and cut the used one into individual white boards. My husband just cut around the nicks and we didn't use those spots.

I usually clean them with cleaner at the beginning of the school year and then again at Christmas. Mine are the size of the pre-cut felt pieces you can get at Walmart. I think about 9 x 12. I spray glue the felt pieces on the back to keep them from rubbing together and scratching when I stack them.
relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

espo

Flappy
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You are so lucky to had a custodian who will do that for you. I would love to see a picture of your table.
espo is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I got mine 2 years ago and LOVE them! I just went to Home Depot and the guy there actually cut them into 30 12x12 squares for me!!! They erase great (I have my students bring in a sock to erase with) and my edges aren't sharp to where someone could get hurt. I'd ask your local Home Depot for help! If you mention you're a teacher I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help.
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

figure out how many you can get
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like to have them fit in ziploc bags so that they won't scratch. My kids keep them in their desks. I would just figure out the dimensions and cut the maximum number that you can.

The edges have not been a problem.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Flappy

table
Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am new and don't think I am allowed to post a picture yet.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jules019

yes...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

1) Yes and they still are going strong!

2) The edges were sharp so I covered them with electrical tape. It's a little more rubbery than painter's tape. I think I bought it in a blue color.

3) I was able to get 32 boards out of one sheet. Not sure how big they were. I'd measure them, but they are at school.

Another tip I did for some boards is I sprayed the back with the chalkboard spray paint. I had a dry erase on one side, chalkboard on the other.
Jules019 is offline   Reply With Quote

fly guys girl

my shower boards
Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

are still going strong after 5+ years! We use them all the time... I bought them at Lowes... had Lowes cut them 12x12 (the smallest size they would)... Edges were smooth, and they did the cuts for free when I asked and said I was a teacher!

We use them for everything from literature to math... I recently found out that instead of using white board markers, students can use crayons on them! The crayon markings just wipe right off! I figure that students can use markers for lessons, and crayons for free choice... maybe this will help preserve the ink a little longer!
fly guys girl is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks everyone for your amazing advice and tips! I'm excited to get some new boards. The ones we have look ancient and cracked who knows how long they've been in my classroom.
vateacher is online now   Reply With Quote

tmd_1009

used mine
Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

for years...had them cut at Lowe's I think and they're approx 12 x 12...I only use blue expo markers on them and kids have a sock to erase. They store perfectly in a crate. My rule is if I ever see you drawing on them (they are "work boards") you have to put yours away and do what we're doing with pencil and paper. I think that has really saved mine. I didn't put anything around the edge. Red tends to stain.
tmd_1009 is offline   Reply With Quote