Went to dr. for acne, and she gave me a diuretic? - ProTeacher Community

luv2teach36

Went to dr. for acne, and she gave me a diuretic?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I posted awhile ago about this horrible acne that I have had for about the last year. I finally broke down and went to the dr. last week. She put me on a topical cream, an antibiotic, and a diuretic.
I read online that dr.'s give antibiotics for acne sometimes (have no idea why though) but I can't figure out the diuretic.
Any ideas?

mooba1

Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Many years ago, I was put on Enduron (a diuretic) for acne. I had to make sure I had enough potassium in my system. My dr said they didn't understand why it worked, but when it was prescribed as a diuretic, patients noticed it helped clear their acne as well. It worked great for me! Maybe they have it figured out by now---this was several years ago.

MissDes

Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was put on antibiotics for acne years ago, but it stopped working after a while. I noticed my skin clear after a couple of days, and then just as quick as it disappeared, it came back. I'm 26 and I feel like my acne is at its worst. Granted, I don't have severe acne, but it's pretty moderate. Would like to know if a diuretic would help... never heard of that before. Creams always make my skin burn and peel so I always stop using them.

MeMimi

Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, for me it has worked miracles. I am on a very very low dose, and it has been wonderful. Basically, birth control pills such as yaz have diuretics as an ingredient in them. That diuretic works to help lower one type of hormone that causes your pores to clog. Now they just prescribe the diuretic instead of everything else, once they discovered that it worked. I am now very clear, rarely if ever get anything. If I do, it is very slight bump that goes away the next morning.
Good luck, I hope it works as good for you as it did for me!

bobcatgirl1

Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Also keep in mind that after taking the pill you will have to urinate several times for the first couple of hours. That can pose a real problem at school if you start the day with a room full of kids. )

luv2teach36

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the info! I really hope it works for me!! I have been taking the diuretic and putting the cream on every night since Wednesday. The antibiotic I have not taken yet, as I am waiting on a liquid instead of a huge plastic pill

I have already figured out that it makes me have to use the restroom a lot more Luckily (or maybe not!) I am up at 4:00, with all 8 of my prescriptions taken by 5:30. School does not actually start until 8:50 so I think (hope!) I will be ok! Otherwise, I better stock up on cranberry juice haha