Fun Ways to Introduce New Word Wall Words - ProTeacher Community

IrvingEl

Fun Ways to Introduce New Word Wall Words
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every week we have 6 new Dolch words that we clap-chant-cheer. We do different activities each day of the week including "wacky Wednesday" where we cheer the words in a goofy way.

Has anyone come up with a fun way to introduce your new words each week? I would love to think of something cute/creative to introduce the words but am in need of your help!

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Amanda

IrvingEl is offline   Reply With Quote

praktcentechr

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We finger spell it (ASL), and we have out-the-door words that are posted on the door and each time we leave we have to read the words. I know that's not introducing but the kids like it. I also use, "Flashlight, flashlight oh so bright, shine on a word with your light!" We all chant it together and the lights are off and I shine a flashlight on a word, we read, spell and read the word. When we spell it, we use small, tall and fall motions to signify what type of letter is in the word. When introducing, we also "crumple" (pretend) up the word and throw it onto the word wall where it will live. I know the more I do with the word wall the more familiar they are with the words. Looking forward to hearing other ideas. thanks for asking!
praktcentechr is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv my Coton

I love this idea!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is so cute! We do a lot of different activities with the words, but I have never heard of this one. This is such a cute idea! I will add this to our word wall activities.
Luv my Coton is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom+1

really cute
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

these are cute
http://literacymalden.wikispaces.com...all+chants.pdf
twinmom+1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Daffodil09

Introducing new words
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have several activities that I do on the same day each week.
Monday: make and break with magnetic letters
put words in alphabetic order
Tuesday: rhyme time...I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with....
Wednesday: mystery sentence...I make up 5 sentences and the kids have to figure out which word makes sense in which sentence
Thursday: Hot seat...a choose a student (using sticks) and they sit in front of the class and answer questions about the word they chose...does your word have any tall letters? does your word have the 'at' chunk in it...etc
Friday: Good-bye words...we put the new and some good review words on the board and I call students up to find a word I call out and as they erase it we all wave and say "Good-bye ______________!"

Daffodil09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the great ideas. I am going to need some for my first time back in 1st grade in 7 years. (It's truly amazing what you forget... I don't know if I am really ready for Kindergarten graduates.)

Daffodil09--I just want to make sure I understand your activities. On Monday, you make and break the words with alphabet letter magnets. What do you mean by "break" the word? Phonemic emphasis of each letter sound? Spelling out the word? I like all of your other activities.

I have also seen here and elsewhere--Swat: Write the words on the board and have two students with a fly swatter each. Call out a word. The first student to swat the correct word gets to choose the next "victim" (or, in teams, gets a point.)
Race to Erase the Box: Draw a large cube on the board. Write the words in the cube. Give each of two students a chalkboard eraser. Say a word. The first student to erase the word gets to pick the next student. The class is trying for the fastest time.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote