Help

ARCHIVE

Book Reports

>

teacher_cac

Book Reports
Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 2nd grade and have my students read for 20 min per night. I'm trying to find a way to have them begin basic book reports. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid, "My favorite part of the story was...." and "I liked this book because..." but maybe that's the route I should go with 2nd grade? Thanks!

teacher_cac is offline   Reply With Quote

Marie2

book reports
Old 01-07-2006, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have my second graders write book reports during the second semester. They write two paragraphs. The first paragraph is a summary of the book and the second is their response to the book. Hope this helps.
Marie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jaime

Jaime

Old 01-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been assigning a book report each month to my students. I use a different arts a dn craft activity in order to tie it to the month. For oct. i used a scarecrow, nov, a turkey, dec. a snowman, jan. a poster, the students write about the title, characters, setting and details from the beginning, middle, and end. My studnets love doing it and turn it in for a prize each month! Hope this helps.
Steph A.

Steph A.

Book responses
Old 01-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Depending on the book, students can respond in a variety of ways. Some books lend themselves to text to self connections..."this book (or character) reminded of ...". Text to text connectiona are another route to go. It is also fun for children to practice summarizing by "advertising" the book, similar to Reading rainbow. I wouldn't overdo home book reports, because having to respond all the time will take the joy of reading from the child. We want the kiddies to LOVE reading! I'd perhaps use class time in a writer's workshop format to model and work on 'book reports".

teacher_cac

Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks! I've come up with some fun activities based on arts and crafts, writing, and acting. My students get to choose which mini-project they want to do, one per month. So far, they're excited about them. Thanks for your help. =0)

teacher_cac is offline   Reply With Quote

Jody

Jody
Old 01-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have my students do a paper bag book report. They read a book (their choice). Then they decorate a brown paper bag with a scene from the book or draw a picture of the cover (be creative I tell them). Next they take an item from the story and place it in the bag. A sample would be Green Eggs and Ham. They would put...you guessed it, a green egg. Proceeding the student presenting would give 3 clues about the object in the bag but not before first sharing the book. This includes saying the title and author, giving a brief summary and reading a page from the book. It's a lot of fun - hope it helps!
Jody is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

Old 01-28-2006, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just this year, instead of traditional book reports, I started giving the kids book responses to complete every other week. This week's is a character description. I drew a basic person shape on a sheet and ran it off for each child. They need to cut it out (or they can draw their own) and trace it on poster board or something sturdier that. Next, dress the figure...draw, cut and paste, use fabric, anything and then on the back write a 3 sentence description (at least) of the character.

There is a direction sheet and rubric that goes home with each project. The rubric has really upped the quality of the work in terms of correct spelling, neatness, following directions, etc.
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote
sherie

sherie

direction sheet
Old 02-05-2006, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i love your ideas! could you email me what your direction sheet and rubric look like. Also, what book responses have you used so far?
thanks have a great day,
sherie

email: watkisw@d11.org

choochie61

Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I Also Would Love To Get A Copy Of Your Direciton Sheet And Rubric. Thanks
choochie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Stessed
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
This message has been deleted by Stessed.

Stessed

Book Reports
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Stessed's Message:
I am new to Pro teacher. I just read about your book report ideas and I am curious about your rubric etc. Could you please send that to me?
Thank you.

Stessed is offline   Reply With Quote

cs0321

directions
Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Could you email me a copy of your directions and rubric that you use.
ccohron@unityschool.com

Thanks
cs0321 is offline   Reply With Quote