fluency - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

imalith

fluency
Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have one student in my class that is very competent at decoding words. He is also one of my most skilled at text comprehension. His stumbling block is fluency. He absolutely cannot read with any speed or expression. In talking with this boy, he knows that he should be reading aloud better than he does. Even at a slow pace, he struggles.

Anyone have any strategies for fluency other than practice, practice, practice?

imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

one tool ---- whisper phones
Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whisper Phones. They are cheap and simple to make. Take two pieces of curved plastic PC pipe and a short straight piece. Put them together to look like a telephone receiver. Student whisper reads in one end and can hear themselves with the end at their ear.

We learned this at a readers workshop a couple years ago.

We have 25 minutes of silent reading each day. Some students read with an adult, some read with a buddy (they can sit on the floor on pillows), some read to themselves (they can use whisper phones).

We use a pocket chart and change the arrangement each day.

Read from a chapter book daily to the class. We all read aloud fifteen minutes each day. Charlottes Web, Triumpet of the Swan, Charlies Chocolate Factory, The Ugly Ducklin, Stellalula, and the list of excellent books goes on and on. If you don't have the books, go to the public library and check out the book you want to read to the class. It's free.

Last edited by hescollin; 03-21-2007 at 06:27 AM..
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Fluency
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about reader's theater? Reciting poems ect... Make sure you are practicing fluency weekly with your students. With students that need more help have them practice more frequently. The whisper phones are great.

You are smart to realize that oral reading fluency has a direct correlation to silent reading comprehension. Keep working at it.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms. V

Ms. V

Old 03-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Model reading works great for fluency. The fluent reader reads a sentence or a paragraph first, using proper expression and speed. Then the struggling reader reads the same sentence or paragraph back mimicking the example given by the first reader.

If it is impossible for you to work with him one on one, maybe you can assign a fellow student as a reading buddy to practice with him.

imalith

fluency
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your ideas. Whisper phones is totally a new idea for me. I thought it was very interesting. Thanks again.

imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

jessOH

fluency
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Repeated readings have really helped my struggling students. I have them read a text and time them for one minute. Then I have them take it home to practice reading it aloud. The following day I time them on the same text. We chart the growth. The visual helps them see the benefits of practicing. I also use the phrasing technique. Students who don't read fluently usually aren't able to tell where the pauses should be. So we literally practice phrasing. Ex: Imagine a press/ that prints 21 newspaper sections/ with color on both sides,/ in just one second. The / represents the phrasing. Some reading programs have samples premade, but you can do it with any text.
jessOH is offline   Reply With Quote