Help

ARCHIVE

Grrr.. Stapler Jammed Again!

>

Badger

Grrr.. Stapler Jammed Again!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Maybe someone can relate to this- another jammed up stapler.

I spared no expense; I bought the Cadillac of Swingline staplers, the extra heavy duty model 747. Fast forward a few months; I don't think it's going to make it through another surgery. Prior to this one I had a "revolutionary" plastic stapler that worked sort of like a staple gun; it soon broke. I've also had an electric stapler given to me as a gift; r.i.p. And, sad to say, this is not my first Swingline.

I'm even using the brand-name Swingline staples. My students are not stapling through huge stacks of construction paper and I am not pounding nails in with it. I've done everything but wax and polish it. What's going on here? Anyone know of a better stapler?

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

stapler
Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, I have a cheapie stapler, and it works great. Never had any problems. So maybe you don't have to spend a lot to get what you need. If it doesn't work, you haven't spent a fortune.
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Surgery
Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I JUST did the same surgery on MY stapler today....it jams sometimes, but I've had it for YEARS, and I'm always able to get that pesky-renagade staple out without much difficulty....knock on wood...

You might try buying several different brand-name ones and see which one works the best...

Good Luck

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

so glad I'm not alone!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have 4 staplers in my room and none is great. At least one or two are jammed in a given day. I also have one that came completely apart after being dropped several times. It is my "bulletin board" stapler, as it is always open and ready to go!! I almost bought a cadillac one last weekend and decided I wasn't going to waste my money---I'm glad I hesitated!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Same here.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have four staplers and only one works without jamming. I think the problem is that they do get dropped a lot. I've thought about tying a string around them to keep them from hitting the floor, but I'm sure they'd hit something. What frustrates me more than jamming is the way they don't close all the way. I'm always afraid one of my kids will get scratched with the points that stick out.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bonnie gr. 2

Same problem
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have had several staplers, different brands. None works for very long. Jamming frequently. A friend works in a doctor's office and recenlty gave me some promotional ones that she had from drug reps. I don't let the kids use them. I keep them for me so at I have something to use.
Bonnie gr. 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

AmyH

Stapler
Old 03-22-2007, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You sound just like me! I have a student in my class who can fix anything... so I usually have him fix things (clock that fell off the wall, stapler, stool), BUT yesterday I decided that I would try to unjam the stapler... I ended up cutting my thumb and somehow the nurse found out and she even came down. My fixer student picked up the stapler and literally within seconds had it unjammed. He thinks it has to do with the number of staples that are left in the staple holder thingy.... I'll take his word...
AmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

stapler
Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I haven't found "Swingline" to be very strong staplers, I think mine are old, industrial strength Bostich. They're larger than the Swingline and have a firm plate on the bottom. I never let the kids use them (I have 2), never pound staples into the bulletin board, and I know how to get a jammed staple out quickly. Over the years I've only thrown out one stapler, when it got really temperamental. But the staplers in the staff workroom must be some that others should have discarded because they rarely work. I think I'll do us all a favor and toss them this summer. There are about 15 new ones in the office cabinet, we may as well start using them. There is nothing more frustrating, except maybe keeping a pen that's running out of ink!

1gr81ntheus

At The Teacher Store Yesterday . . .
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I found the cutest tiny stapler. It's just the mini stapler, not extra small or anything, and it had a belt loop clip on it. I can walk the room with it attached to my belt loop or on a string around my neck. Those little staplers have never jammed for me. For stapling papers as I peruse the room, well, its the perfect soulution. I figure I won't drop the big stapler as much this way and I don't have to constantly run back to my desk for it. You know how the pen on a string is really handy, well now the stapler on a clip is handy too! It's by swingline, I think.
1gr81ntheus is offline   Reply With Quote
An Aussie

An Aussie

I can relate!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have wasted sooo much time on my stapler lately... my kids just know to stand there at my desk and WAIT while I do the surgery on it.

Well, I CHUCKED OUT mine FINALLY yesterday and I said a few choice words to it as it went 'thump' into the bin. (luckily the class had gone home). I had had enough. I was so mad. One tiny stapler stuffed the whole stapling system and bunched up all the other staples and then jammed badly!! Grrrrrrrrr.

I have another one and it's aok at the moment- but who knows.

The staplers obviously have issues all the way over in Australia as well.

P.S. Funny- my Grade 1 kids can't say the word STAPLE and STAPLER. They get them mixed up and their words muddled. Cute.

Badger

premium gas only
Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the responses!

Bertie, I googled "Bostitch staplers" and the first thing that came up was this! I think those would be a bit too industrial strength! Their other staplers look pretty convincing too though! Might be worth a try!

I noticed last week that my model 747 stapler has a little engraved message on it saying 'use only Swingline premium staples'. That little instruction had escaped me before; Silly me, I've been foolishly using their regular (and apparently not recommended) standard Swingline staples.

So, I know, I know, but this weekend I paid a premium price for a box of their premium staples, which come in shiny plastic jewel cases. I'll give them a try. I really want to believe! But for the record, they look exactly like the standard staples...
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

Bostich
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Mine looks like the B8HC photo, bottom line left side. About $25 but I'm sure school districts can get them cheaper. Anyway its been going strong for 3 or 4 years.