6 Traits + Writing Process - ProTeacher Community

ladyinpink

6 Traits + Writing Process
Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So last I got the opportunity to go to a conference about 6 Trait Mini Lessons. My school now wants me to teach writing incorporating this but also stay in units. So for example my first real month of units are personal narratives. I can figure out great mini lessons for personal narratives but how to I get through the writing process as well. I'm suppose to get through the writing process with my Second Graders once a unit. I only get to teach writing three days a week. =( Suggestions please! If someone would like to give me a layout that would be amazing. Help!

QueenBee2011

Traits
Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you need to keep the "Traits" separate from your units. Meaning, that you may be teaching personal narratives, but you're concentrating on the Ideas Trait. Then, the next week, even if the children are still writing narratives, you can examine Conventions Trait. Teach only one trait per month. It's impossible to try to teach all the traits in a single writing lesson for 2nd grade. Good Luck!