Attention Seeking Behavior - ProTeacher Community

MamaMadeMe

Attention Seeking Behavior
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm desperately hoping that you guys will be able to help me figure out how to deal with a student in my classroom. Today was our first day of school. The child I'm having trouble with exhibited extreme attention seeking behavior such as climbing all over me, interrupting, rolling all over the place. When ignored his behavior escalates to include throwing chairs, throwing toys, banging on things, and making noise. If I continue to ignore him, he starts to bother the other children to try to get attention from then. I did reward him with positive praise every time I could catch him being good and I made quite a big deal out of his good behavior and he seemed to LOVE that. I've never dealt with a child like that before. I feel like I should ignore him until he does something right but what do I do when his behavior gets really bad and I can't ignore it. It seems like he's getting his way when I have to stop him from throwing things and tipping chairs but I need to protect the other children. I know today was only the first day but I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. I teach in a child care center and he's been exhibiting this behavior since he was a baby so I don't think it's merely the adjustment to kindergarten. Please give me some suggestions on how to deal with this the right way so that I can help him correctly this school year.

MamaMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Make sure you keep P and councelors on top of the situation. This sounds like more than just wanting attention.

Safety of other children (and yourself) is most important. When he is acting out so violently you need to get him out of the room!

Sorry I don't have any magic solution.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeacher09

I have an attention seeker...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

albeit... not one who throws chairs.

With her family she has always exhibited attention seeking behaviour, and parents, I think (from what I've seen) sometimes pander to it - for various reasons...

What I did (from the very first day, as it was VERY obvious that it was just that-attention seeking) I said to her very clearly (looking at her face) "That is attention seeking behaviour. I will ignore that behaviour" and then just completely ignored it. She tried a few more things to get my attention. I then (loudly) told the other students to ignore the attention seeking behaviour.

It took a few weeks, but eventually, I didn't even look at her and would just say "I'm ignoring that behaviour xxx". It worked ... but took a good 6 weeks or so. Now if she does something silly, I do the same thing "No. That is attention seeking behaviour and I am going to ignore it".

Someone once told me to tell them what it is that they are doing (basically lettting them know that you are onto them) and then they have to "own" the behaviour, because basically, they've been caught out... if that makes sense!
KTeacher09 is offline   Reply With Quote

dazzleriot

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I had one like this I tried so many things! What worked the best was to meet with him in the morning and ask him what he wants to work toward that day (computer time, painting, little candy, 5 min extra recess, lunch with teacher, etc.). I would also ask him how many "punches" he thought he could do that day in order to earn it. I set these at first but he was soon able to try for up to 20 punches! He also knew if it was a bad day and could only do 5. I set the timer for every 3 minutes, and if he could follow the rules for those 3 minutes, i would hole-punch the note card on a string around his neck. This gave him positive attention every three minutes and something to work toward. I struggled with giving him extra things that the other students were not getting, however by keeping this little guy on track, they were able to get more done and have more of my attention. The first week i tried this, it took him 2 days before he could make it the whole 3 minutes. The first time he did, the other kids in my class broke out into spontaneous applause and were so proud of him! that is one of my favorite moments in my class....
dazzleriot is offline   Reply With Quote