Types of sentences-Fun Activity - ProTeacher Community

DaisyGirl94

Types of sentences-Fun Activity
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have started the year off reviewing the types of sentences. I would like to do a fun activity as a culminating event instead of just worksheets. Does anyone have anything like this? I used to teach 3rd grade, but I am afraid these kids remember doing them already so I need a fresh idea!

TIA!

DaisyGirl94 is offline   Reply With Quote

calicocookie

Mini Posters
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have the students make posters to demonstrate each type of sentence. They can write an example, draw a punctuation hero that matches the sentence, and write the definition for the type of sentence.
calicocookie is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyGirl94

Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the idea!!!
DaisyGirl94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Smart Board
Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are a lot of games online for types of sentences! You could play some Smart Board games if you have one!

You could also do a sorting activity. Create a ton of different types of sentences on slips of papers. Use index cards to label your headings. Have the students sort them in a certain amount of time. When time is up, they have to move to the next group's cards and they can continue sorting those and/or make adjustments if necessary.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mr.pateach

Kaboom
Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 5th graders loved this.
It's called KABOOM! I adapted to fit a 4 types of sentences review from here
http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cg...4968-23737.txt

I cut sentences from the worksheets I was going to give & added a KABOOM label to my basket.

Have equal sized groups (we had 4 & each student in the group had a letter. i.e. Group 1 was 1A, 1B, 1C...).
All the A's would come & pick a strip, read aloud & name the type of sentence with no help one at a time. If done correctly 5 points go to their team & to the JACKPOT. If done incorrectly no points nowhere & strips goes back in.

Add 4 KABOOM strips & 1 JACKPOT strip.
If you choose the KABOOM strip, all of your points will be subtracted from the team & added to the JACKPOT.
If you choose the JACKPOT strip, you have to chose a sentence strip, read & answer correctly with no help & then you'll earn all of the points in the Jackpot at that point.

We played for 4 straight days during transition times & when work was finished early. Then had a formal test the 5th day.

TIPS: Have enough sentences to add new ones each day. When a KABOOM strip has been chosen everyone has to shout KABOOM as you erase the points. Same with JACKPOT. Our motto with games like this is "A quick game is a good game!" When JACKPOT has been won, hold off for a while before adding back in. Never let the KABOOMs run out.

It's hilarious watching them sweat, hoping & wishing not to get a KABOOM strip & then anticipating the next round to redeem themselves.

CHALLENGE: Have some sentences with no punctuation. When these are chosen the teams can earn bonus points for giving the correct punctuation mark after categorizing.

Hope it all makes sense.

mr.pateach is offline   Reply With Quote

NM Teach

Types of Sentences
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you have Scott Foresman Reading Street you can access the Grammar Jammers online. They loved the one for types of sentences. https://www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
They also got a kick out this Learn English with Jim video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNaHA...1&feature=plpp
NM Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

kinesthetic activity
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is an activity I have used in the past in my Fourth grade classrooms and will be using next week in my departmentalized 5th grade classroom-
Students are asked to get up and walk in place behind desks. Sentences are presented on powerpoint. (Read by students aloud.)
The students stop for declarative and imperative sentences (after the reading of an imperative sentence they stop and tap a foot or I've had them salute instead), for exclamatory sentences they stop and jump (to represent the exclamation point), and for questions we stop and slither like a snake (to represent the turns in the question mark.)
I try to incorporate at least one sentence for every student in the class.
I use this activity as a review before our quiz and I've seen several students wiggling, saluting, and/or jumping in their desks as they quiz the next day

Hope this helps!
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

LucyBella

Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much! We started school late this year so I'm just beginning the LA curriculum. This will be great fun and valuable!
LucyBella is offline   Reply With Quote