poems for fluency - ProTeacher Community

jhnewbie

poems for fluency
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have very low, fluent readers this year. I was considering using poems to help with this. Does anyone else use this strategy? If so, how do you work it into your schedule? Do you use a running record score to assess? My hope was to incorporate it into their reading grade.

jhnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

eteach94

Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use this strategy, but I don't grade. I pick poems based on what we're studying. I introduce a new poem or song every Monday. Every time we meet on the rug, we recite the poem. The next week, it goes it our poetry center, and do different activities with it. The kids love it, and I hear them singing old songs all the time.
eteach94 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Poetry Fluency
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love using poetry for improving fluency. I usually make the poetry assignments on Monday. We practice each day for at least ten minutes during the week. Then on Friday after our practice time the students present for a grade. Sometimes they present to the entire class and other times just for me.

I use a fluency rubric that someone shared earlier here in PT. It makes the grading easy in my opinion.

One of my favorite poets is Jack Prelutsky. He has several holiday books that I like to use for those special times of the year. The titles are It's Halloween, It's Thanksgiving, It's Christmas and It's Valentine's Day. They are humorous and age appropriate poems. Students usually work in pairs or threes. I usually allow students to present for secretaries, the librarian, custodial stafff.... for extra practice. They all enjoy hearing the holiday poems.

I also like Mary Ann Hoberman's You Read To Me: I'll Read To You series. The poems are mini reader's theaters. I assign partners. The better reader gets the first part and the slower reader the second part. The second reader always tries to match the pace of the first reader. There is the original book, a scary tales version, a fractured nursery rhyme book and fairy tale book. I think there is a new fifth book out as well, but I have not bought it yet and cannot remember the theme.

I encourage students to add a little drama to their presentation with motions, movements, simple costumes and props as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 207 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tching1

Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just saw this book on Amazon tonight and thought about getting it.

Partner Poems for Building Fluency: 25 Original Poems With Research-Based Lessons That Help Students Improve Their Fluency and Comprehension [Book]

I just started incorporating poems this year. I introduced my second poem today. I have the kids read the poem to as many people as they can and get a signature each time. They really enjoy going to other teachers and family members to read.

I would love to hear what poetry activities everyone else does. Keep sharing please!
Tching1 is offline   Reply With Quote