Pirate theme lesson help! - ProTeacher Community

TerryT

Pirate theme lesson help!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been doing a pirate unit in grade two and I want to do a lesson for LA that includes drawing a pirate map. I plan to read them a story which will include map ideas (any suggestions?)and then to have them design their own pirate map, with instructions on how to find the treasure.
Any ideas for how to approach the writing (instructions) part of it so that they don't just see it as a pirate map "picture", giving short-shrift to the writing part?
Thanks!

TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote

suem

Pirates
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made up a pirate unit, then couldn't use it because this was the first year we had our new reading series and I HAD to do those things.
I was going to use the books, "Tough Boris," "How I Became a Pirate," "Pirate School," and "Pirates Past Noon."
Even Pirate Captains had to keep logs of where they were etc. when they were at sea. Perhaps have the chlldren keep a log of a fictious ship and in the log explain where they have hidden the treasure.
They would need to have one day of how they got the treasure, perhaps give some detail of what the treasure is and then when they come ashore, then tell the steps of where the treasure is buried. That way if there is a mutuny or this particular pirate is lost at sea, heirs can look for the treasure.
Have fun with it, I'm really jealous.
suem is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Pirate theme
Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This probably won't work for you since you're already doing the pirate theme, but I do a pirate theme at the end of the year. We do map skills, and I have a treasure map that I made on brown paper, crinkled and burned on the edges, that I put on the bulletin board. On the last day of school, we do a treasure hunt. I make up clues, and hide them behind all the things that are on the bulletin boards. The kids take turns reading the clues, and follow the directions that are on each clue. At the end of the day, all of my bulletin boards are down, and they get the "treasure" which is usually a treasure chest full of snacks and sodas. We party at the end of the treasure hunt, and talk about our favorite things about the year. It's a fun way to end the year.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

I think it is called
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Treasure Hunt. I believe it is one of the Math Starts books. I can look tomorrow if you are interested.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

agreenf3

Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

definately go over the steps of writing directions and the importance of the order of the steps. use recipes or driving directions to help.

agreenf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TerryT

Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for the advice! I did the lesson and realized that I needed to make some changes for next time since there was some confusion as to how to properly write directions. And some kids wrote directions that made no sense at all, like "go north then south then east then west"! I found that if I drew a map of what they had written as we read their directions together, they were able to see what made sense and what didn't.
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote