AAAAHHH!!! please help - ProTeacher Community

optimist05

AAAAHHH!!! please help
Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All the years we spend in college classes & reading book after book article after article learning & knowing that classroom mgmt is THE MOST important thing...& day 2 of my first year teaching (K/1 multi-age classroom) & I am not too thrilled with my attempt to practice positive discipline - I opted not to have a visual (behavior chart) because I didn't want them to spend their time solely trying to "move up" (or whatever) & it's honestly the same kids that I am struggling with but it's enough to really upset & frustrate me...I have one that completely disrupts everything we do running around, making loud noises & laying/bumping people when we are on the carpet - he's a wonderful helper but I can't have him doing ALL of the class jobs just to prevent him from driving me & the class crazy...then I have one who doens't disrupt the class (except that I interrupt everything when I try to get her to do the right thing) she will just wander off & try to do her own thing - I don't feel like myself or her classmates are connecting with her through conversation. She has a speech therapist but it's more than language, she won't acknowledge that everyone else is doing something & realize that she should join.
I am not happy with the way I started off the year when it comes to behavior mgmt...is it too late to try something else?

optimist05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Never too late!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my opinion, it's never too late, but it might be too early. Things to think about:

*I think it is important to take a pro-active approach, but I think sometimes we focus too much on that in education classes. No teacher has had a class with 100% of the kids following the rules 100% of the time...sorry, kids aren't perfect. Every teacher has had an issue, even a small one, that has to be dealt with at some point or another. Although I do agree with the proactive approach, please remember that effective classroom management doesn't always mean that you have no behavioral issues. It also refers to how you handle the issues you do have!

*Be consistent. If you give specific directions, enforce them 100% of the time...even if it means they throw a fit...ignore it and don't CAVE! Give a consequence if necessary.

*Explain the expected and the Not expected behaviors: What behaviors do you expect? What behaviors will you not allow? I teach 5th and I find myself reviewing this will students day and day out.

*Remove disruptions if need be. If you must remove a child because he or she is disrupting the learning of others, do so. Give the child time to cool down before coming back.

*Give choices: You can do this or you can do this...you pick! Make sure you are okay with both choices given!

*Remember, at these ages, students are still learning a lot about what is expected at school. They are still learning what is appropriate and what is not. You really need to use these incidents as teachable moments as to what can be done and what can't.

*Don't be afraid to ask for help from your principal, counselor, special education teacher, co-worker, etc. My principal told me that he understands I might need a break, become frustrated, etc., and that I should not hesitate to send a student down to him. This doesn't necessarily mean that he will give consequences (only if justified), but sometimes the change of setting is needed. He said he or an aid can work one-on-one with the child so the disruption is removed from the classroom.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

imagination

The one truth in college...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

was that kids have reasons or should I say motivations behind their behavior. Your job is to figure out their motivation so that you know how to solve this problem. Since I have been a teacher, I truly understand that my job is not just teaching but investigagting, psychology, parenting, etc......
imagination is offline   Reply With Quote

optimist05

2 great advices...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you teacherbee for the wonderful reminders & tips...I DEFINITELY have to be more consistent
Imagination - today I found out some tough life experiences that this boy has had & it explains behavior issues but also found out that this is something the school struggled with ALL year last year & has tried many different approaches...it is very discouraging
optimist05 is offline   Reply With Quote