florida/marzano/scales - ProTeacher Community

readerleader

florida/marzano/scales
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going crazy! Because of this whole merit pay mess (which we will never get because there is no money!) we have to have all this junk on our boards. Can anyone give me advice on scales? I want to make a generic one that can be used with any learning goal. I don't know if I will get away with it, but I need help. I am wasting all my prep time worrying about this stuff on the board when i should be working on lesson plans!

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

seslava

What do you have to put up?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm just curious because I haven't been told of anything new I need to put up. We have our LFS bulletin boards which already make for a pretty boring classroom and we just started this new vocabulary process which I made a poster for. What else are you looking for?
seslava is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

new evaluation
Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First we were told that we must have the date, learning goal for each subject and the activity. Now we are starting to go through the Marzano book and the new thing is this scale which you have to use to see if the kids get the learning goal. Everything is so confusing right now. No one seems to know exactly how this is all supposed to look.

prec0ci0us

?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What are you being told that you have to out up? We haven't been told much of anything.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexis

Scales
Old 09-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you need Rubics? That what we had to have for a while so students could use to measure their goals.

Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

bocalopez

Marzano
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been working at my school to help with the evaluations at our school. Once you register at i instruction, you will have access to the checklists that your administrators will be using when they walk through your classroom. From there, you can see on the scale where you fall. I hope that helps.
bocalopez is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

bocalopez
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's not the scale for the teachers. We already went over that and I am registered. These are the scales you have to have for the students. Some other teachers and I got together and we are just going to do something generic for right now until someone tells us we are wrong or we get more information. We are going to teach the kids to hold up one finger if they don't understand at all, two if they kind of get it, and three if they totally understand. We have to have that scale up where the kids can see it. We were also told we have to document it and the kids are supposed to be aware if they are making progress toward the learning goal. Unless you have a scale for the students, you can't go beyond developing on the teacher scale.

bocalopez

readerleader
Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ringleader, I misunderstood. We are working as a team to create scales for each subject. In first, we're going to have the students color in as they progress. For example, the reading words are broken down into smaller groups by units. We also were not given much scale information. I do like the fingers, since our lower grades were stressing over what to do. Thanks
bocalopez is offline   Reply With Quote

~cupcake~

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh my gosh, I'm in Florida too and we haven't been told anything about the scales -- yet. I'm sure it's coming. In the meantime, ignorance is bliss.

I agree we're spending too much time stressing over what's on the "what are we learning" board when we should be focused on lessons. I hate this.
~cupcake~ is offline   Reply With Quote

GuineaTeacher

Goals/Scale
Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in the same situation. I have my goals, and I don't really understand the rubric for the students to use. But apparently however they rate themselves has to be cute...

I'm going to make a lighthouse since I have an ocean theme. Each section of the rubric/scale/whatever will match up to a part of the lightouse.

I don't understand the scale, though. Does anyone have an example?
GuineaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa

Help!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am a 4th grade teacher, in Florida, and I am in the same situation. I have to have a rubric/scale by Monday and have had NO training on this...yet I will be evaluated on it. Please help!
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

soccer059

florida too
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My 4th grade class utilizes two scales the team has come up with.

1-red yellow green flash cards on a flip chart. Red "I do not understand, I need help to keep working" Yellow "I do not understand everything, but I can keep working" Green-"I understand, I am working fine" This color scale can be monitored by the teacher and help can be provided to individuals 1 on 1 or teacher can pull a small group based on the colors students show.

2-"Strive to be five" fingers in the air poster. 5 "I've got it, I can teach it" 4 "I've got it but couldn't quite teach it" 3 "I think I've got it" 2 "I don't think I understand" 1"I don't understand what we're talking about" This fingers raised scale is posted on the wall. I stop during the lecture to ask for anyone who is NOT a 4 or 5 and reteach the concept from the beginning after assigning those that "have it" practice work.

Marzano evaluations = administration SEEING that teacher knows what to do when students' monitor their learning and teacher can do a reteach to catch everyone up. Admin cannot just rely on "she is a good teacher" anymore
soccer059 is offline   Reply With Quote
JamieP

JamieP

Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We are all freaking out at my school. No one has a clear idea of what is expected. We are under the impression that you must have your goals for each subject posted and the kids are supposed to be able to say what the goals are. We are also supposed to have a rubric/scale-we're using the 1,2, or 3 fingers-posted and the kids are supposed to be able to explain the rubric. We are all VERY confused about if we are supposed to be tracking the kids' assesments of themselves or not. Everyone is on edge and we are all so worried.
st.aug teachr

st.aug teachr

another Florida teacher
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We were told last week that the "Finger check" or the general scale that all the teachers in our school have are not valid anymore!!! They now want us to make specific written scales for each LG. I feel like I am spinning the wheel and not getting anywhere. Worst year of my career, I feel sorry for the kids. All they have learned this year is the Learning Goals and scales, but no content!!! Talking to my fellow teachers, they feel the same way!
blinked

blinked

no advice, no clue
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Don't worry about anything, because you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Everyone would be very wise to pay attention to this.

taberm

Marzano scales
Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think we have to do a separate one for each lesson---a lot of work!!!! Al least that's the way I am interpreting it.
taberm is offline   Reply With Quote
fl educator

fl educator

scales
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We are being told that you have to have a specific scale for each and every learning goal. Learning goals cannot be confused with activities or else you will be in trouble. I am spending an enormous time creating this idiot stuff which my students don't care about. After you have mastered the learning goals, scales and hand signals (they go in and out every day) you will have to have your students discuss the learning goals and review the scales 3 or 4 times a class. Several of my students have questioned why all the teachers are doing this all the time. We sound like robots. No learning or teaching time left.
hereugo

hereugo

lots of scale explanation examples
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

For many excellent examples and explanation of how to post goals and scales, go here: MarzanoCenter.com/blog
Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR

response methods
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We are also implementing Marzano's Teaching Strategies. Rubrics do not always need to be a written grid. For instance, I have three tags that the students hold up. If they understand, they hold up a plus sign; if they understand but need guidance, they hold up a question mark; if they do not understand, they hold up a minus sign (I teach math).

I have seen teachers use red, yellow, and green circles to demonstrate the same ideas. It is a fast way to evaluate the student's understanding of the goal on which you are working.
Kagan Cooperative Learning also has student response dials if you would like another idea on how to evaluate the students' understanding.