1st Communion - ProTeacher Community

sharon77

1st Communion
Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just wondering what types of projects and activities other schools do for 1st Communion. We have a retreat with the other 2nd grades in our county and the students get to make bread, do guided meditation, listen to a storyteller read The Caterpillar That Came to Church-A Story of the Eucharist, make a craft, and watch the video Grandma's Bread.
My students also make banners at home with their names on them to hang in church.
I'm looking for some new ideas to do with my students this year. Our 1st Communion is the 1st Sunday in May. I would appreciate hearing other ideas that anyone has.

sharon77 is offline   Reply With Quote

woodsie79

Jesus Night
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do something similar to your retreat at our school except it is just our school children and our CCD children. We call it Jesus Night. They come in and go to 5:00 mass together, them come back to the cafeteria and have dinner, do crafts, watch Grandma's Bread, and go over to taste the bread and wine (unblessed) with the priest. They end the night with a movie and campout in the gym. The next morning they have breakfast and go home. It's a GREAT time and the kids look forward to and talk about it for years!
woodsie79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobby

First Communion
Old 03-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My children each decorated a candle that was lite during the ceremony. Our oldest used a white pillar candle and decorated with whatever she wanted, the other two used the white pillar glass type cande and decorated. The youngest of the two we used glass type paint on and when you light the candle it is like stain glass. He is now in the 7th grade (made communion in the 2nd grade) and we continue to light the candle on Easter-it is really pretty and means something special and because it is glass it has lasted all these years. Just some more ideas.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote