Storytown - ProTeacher Community

goldwinggirl

Storytown
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out that I will be teaching 3 classes of Reading & Language using Storytown. I have never used this series. I need ideas that will help introduce story & motivate the students before they read the story. I am such a Math person!! This is a struggle for me. Thanks for any help that you can give me!!!

We are starting Lesson 4 Kai's Journey to Gold Mountain on Monday.

goldwinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

urbandweller

I teach storytown 4th grade
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been using story town for 5 years now... Why are you starting with lesson 4 instead of one.. Hot and Cold Summer?

Any how when you read the stories if you have no idea where to go with it (introducing) the teachers manual had great suggestions for introducing the story (building background). I tell students that Angel Island where Kai is waiting is like Ellis Island in NY. If your students don't know about either you might want to google some images or show a united streaming video from discovery education. This is one of those stories that kid have a had time connecting with so I usually ask them to think about how they would feel if they were away from a parent and didn't know if they would see them again. Good Luck...... One other thing search storytown here on PT and you will see a great website for storytown I wish I could remember it... I only know it starts with pcob (I think) but it is a great site they have vocab games, lesson for the smartbord up to lesson 25 and worksheet galore.
urbandweller is offline   Reply With Quote

goldwinggirl

Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks sooooo much for the info. I just started teaching the Reading block. Someone else taught the other 3 stories.

teach8060

website
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not sure what the new rules are regarding the posting of web links, so to find the site mentioned above, google Storytown resources. You should find the Phenix City Schools site - pcboe.net

It is excellent! There are links to a lot of supplemental material for each story. I think that is where I found some pictures of Angel Island (or just Google Angel Island) for Kai's Journey, in addition to lots of resources for the rest of the stories.

Good luck. I have used Storytown for about 5 years and am starting to use my own stuff...if you get my drift!
teach8060 is offline   Reply With Quote

goldwinggirl

Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks!!!! Yes, I get your drift!