time fillers/ chants and songs??? - ProTeacher Community

MrsCameron

MrsCameron

time fillers/ chants and songs???
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some fun ideas you use in your classroom when you have 5 minutes left before recess or before school is over? I am wondering about maybe chants or songs or things like that that teach the kids the alphabet, numbers, letter sounds etc? Please help I am new to kinder from 5th...and never taught lower then 3rd before! haha excited but nervous...school starts this week!!! ahhhhhh

amsy28

The Phonics Dance
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a first year teacher so I love to use songs and chants during downtime to distract from negative behavior during times when the kids are transitioning.

The Phonics Dance is AWESOME!!!! I've met many who have never heard of it, but it is a song that goes with each letter of the alphabet and even has cute little/simple dance moves. The kids ADORE it and I have really noticed it helps them when trying to dictact a letter sound. I catch them singing the song to figure it out Here is a video with the song.. http://cumberland.wikispaces.com/Phonics+Dance

It seems overwhelming, but I have been gradually teaching each letter. For example, I teach them the chant to the letter when I teach that letter. So far, this is what we have learned, A,B,C,D,E,I,M,R,S. I have mini pictures to go along with each chant and I just put them on a binder ring and carry them with me everywhere and flip through them as we go so they visually see the letter with the chant. I do it anytime we have downtime. We do it a bit faster than the video posted here, so it takes less time

You can buy any of the products on their site, thephonicsdance.com too!!

Good luck!
amsy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

chickadee64

time fillers..
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hokey Pokey
Simon Says
Who's Missing? (one child "hides", one child guesses who is missing from the group)
Hangman (use sight words or student names)

Songs- When you're happy and you know it, Five Little Ducks, This Old Man, The Wheels on the Bus, Do Your Ears Hang Low
chickadee64 is offline   Reply With Quote

chickadee64

cute video
Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always love to see K kids in action! I like how they combined the sign language with the motions and sounds. Thanks for the site!

I do want to caution K teachers about one thing that I noticed on the video. Some of the sounds were not being said correctly. An R sound should sound like the r in the word run--not like the sound -er. Also, the L sound should sound like the l in the word lion, not like the sound -ul. Additionally, be careful about adding the -uh sound at the end. Example the D and B sounds should be short and clipped...not duh and buh.
chickadee64 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 09-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love Heidisongs Alphabet Action if they need a little movement. I also have Dr.Jean's Alpha Hardy which is a little slower and mellower if we need to calm down a little.

If you are new to K I would check out both Heidi Songs site and Dr. Jean's both have tons of resources, dvd's, cds, etc. that will really help you with things like transitions and songs to learn from.

Enjoy K

luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

amsy28

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am really glad you mentioned that because I actually just found that video a couple days ago. I have seen this used in the classroom before so I do it a little different than the video, but I noticed that the "r" was not correct and some others were different than what I had taught my kids. But the kids love it and I think it really helps them with their sounds There are alos pictures that go with each saying.
amsy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Transitions
Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love Dr. Jean. We sing a lot of songs from her CDs. Check out Dr. Jean on youtube.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote