Help

ARCHIVE

Statistics and Probability

>

rthwaits

Statistics and Probability
Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need ideas how teachers can use statistics and probablity in the elementary classroom. How do you use Statistics and Probability in your classroom?

Thanks!

rthwaits is offline   Reply With Quote

HM

HM

probablity
Old 01-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This week I am teaching fractions and probablity in first grade. For probability we are going to have spinners. We will talk about what color the spinner will most likely fall on. During the lesson I will also show the children a ziploc bag with unifex cubes in the bag. 2 different colors. We will talk about reaching in the bag and what color you would most likey pull out.

Jonesy

Probability
Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my class, I use M & Ms to teach probability. I put two different colors in a bag (I use 2 of one color and 8 of another color to start out). I ask the students which color would most likely be pulled out/which color would most likely not be pulled out? We then reach in the bag 10 times and use tally marks to record our observation. We then talk about why or why not their tally chart matched their prediction. I then ask the question what will happen if I add more of the color that is fewer. We do this several times. This will help the students see that probablity depends on different variables.
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote