Cafe Strategies - ProTeacher Community

teutonvobi

Cafe Strategies
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am implementing Daily Cafe with my 5th graders for the second year. I LOVE it!! I'm still working out kinks and as I do every year, adapting instruction to my new group of learners. Has anyone developed a sequence of teaching the strategies?

Last year I followed a modified version of Daily 5 for Dummies that I found here on proteacher. I did an even more simplified verson this year. That worked ok for the first couple weeks of school. I have a student teacher and want to be able to guide her in teaching the strategies.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!!!

teutonvobi is offline   Reply With Quote

IndianaJones

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did CAFE with my grade 1's last year, and am implementing it with my current grade 5s now. I don't know that there is any set sequence for instruction-basically you intro the strategies as your assessments show they are needed. With my 1's last year I focused mainly on accuracy for the first half of the year, and then moved more into comprehension and fluency strategies as they gained skills. For my 5's this year, I expect I'll be all over the menu with different needs and abilities of students.
IndianaJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookie07

Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you tell me more about what CAFE is? I'm not familiar, but it sounds like you like it and I also teach Grade 5. Thanks!
Cookie07 is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Cookie
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you would like to find out more about CAFE, please check out the peony room (located towards the bottom of the PT homepage). There are a lot of wonderful threads about it there.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tammyr

My strategies
Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just moved up to 5th from 2nd this year and wanted to keep Daily 5. After looking at the Ohio State Standards and Common Core, I came up with strategies that fit best on what I am refering to as the "LIFE board". We are 3 weeks in now and the kids are loving it! Most of them did not have D5 before and several have told me that this is the first time they are excited about reeding in school
I'm attaching my board strategies in case they may help. I have found through pre-assessement that most students are already solid on the Foundational skills so most of those are just going to be one or two review lessons whole group and then those who need more work will get that through conference time and strategy group instruction.

Attached Files
File Type: doc 5th grade life board.doc (35.0 KB, 433 views)
tammyr is offline   Reply With Quote

CREsparky

Life Board
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your Life Board looks like EXACTLY what I needed for my class. Thank you ever so much! I teach the gifted group of fifth graders with Lexile levels in the 900-1100 range, so they are very much fluent and capable readers. And I was struggling a bit with how to truly meet their needs, and this Life Board looks like it may just be the answer. <happy thoughts sent your way!>
CREsparky is offline   Reply With Quote

norareina2

LOVE the life board
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Tammyr,
Please tell me MORE about how to implement your LIFE idea with 5th graders!
I have 30 kids (1st grade level up to HS)
I am new to 5th and need some MAJOR help with this.
I would LOVE to see how you start your year/ how you conference. I am afraid I won't be able to because right now, I have to guide every step all day!
ugh!
Thanks SO much!
norareina2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tammyr

Norareina-
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really walk through the same steps with my 5th graders as I did with my seconds...it just doesn't take as long for them to "get it". I choose the mini lesson reading strategies (aka "LIFE") based on what MOST of the kids need. We get in two of those a day with about 30 minutes of independence after each lesson. In addition to changing up the life board, I also changed up the daily 5 choices. We are taking about a week to introduce and add each new choice so we are now in week 4 of school and are up to 4 choices: Read to Self, Work with Words, Respond to Reading, and Work on Content. Next week I will introduce "Share with Others" as the final choice. We start by making an I-Chart together of independent behaviors for the daily as it is introduced, and then we practice, practice, practice. I ring the chimes when the first kids break stamina and we come back to the carpet and discuss. It is a very slow process, but just this week (week 4) we are now independent enough that I can conference with kids and you can hear a pin drop in the room....they are SOOOO on task and loving that they get the whole time without interuption. I will attach my parent note explaining Daily 5 choices so that you can see the adaptations I made. These just made more sense for the ability levels of my kids and the standards.
Attached Files
File Type: doc daily 5 parent letter2.doc (34.0 KB, 153 views)
tammyr is offline   Reply With Quote

angelmom

Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you do guided reading groups as well? Do they have a book bag with several books to choose from each day for read to self? We just made our grade level reading classes and I am now going to build groups for lit circles and guided groups and want to do this with daily 5. We started cafe and are adding strategies to it.
angelmom is offline   Reply With Quote

angelmom

Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you have any forms the students use for lit circles or Socratic Seminars? So you do no guided groups by reading level just skills they need?
angelmom is offline   Reply With Quote