I need help! Would someone like to offer advice to a future teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

I need help! Would someone like to offer advice to a future teacher?

>

Moe3124

I need help! Would someone like to offer advice to a future teacher?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, as of next semester, I will be starting my student teaching. I am studying Middle and High School Education and lately, I've been feeling a change of heart. I want to either teach Childhood Education or become a counselor. I am leaning more towards Childhood Education, but in my school, my advisor's are giving me the run around on how I can go about switching fields. I am going to finish my bachelor's next year and I would like to start my master's in Childhood Education, but I don't know if I can mix the two. I hope I am not sounding too confusing, I really need some advice from the education community.
I greatly appreciate all the advice I get,
Thanks again,
Moe

Moe3124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kendall

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not positive on this and each state may be different, but I believe that in my state, you could just study for that degree and then take the certification test to get certified in that area. I have a BS in Specific Learning Disabilities (K-12) and my first teaching job was for regular ed. 1st grade. I was "out of field" so I had to take two classes per year while I was in that position. I decided to get my Masters in Pre-K/Primary education (age three to grade three). I would call your local School Board office and ask to speak to someone in Certification and they could tell you for sure what your options are. All my best to you!
Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What exactly is Childhood Education? When you say you are studying Middle High Education, what license will this prepare you for? Is this general education, grades 6-12?
Do you have a minor in anything; English, science, math, history?
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Moe3124

Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kendall, Thank you very much. I live in New York City. I don't know if that helps.

Moe3124

Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Valone, Childhood Education is 1st grade- 6th grade. Middle and High School is 7th thru 12th. I am majoring in English- Literature Specialization and I have a minor in Middle and High School Education.

Valone

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

IMO, at this point of your education, I would finish the student teaching where you are at and you will have one license. If you really do not like it, you could still be a substitute while you go back for another license/s.
If you have the opportunity try to work as an elementary/childhood summer school program or volunteer to work with a counselor. It may give you a taste of what it is like.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Moe3124

Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That's a great idea! Thank you so much Valone!

HollyRenea

I changed majors
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In community college I decided to change my major from Elementary Ed to Ealry Childhood. I lost atleast 9 credits by doing so. This made me require more time spent in college. I graduate at the end of 2011. I have been told by seminar teachers that you can take the Praxis II for another field and be certified. I have passed the Praxis II for Early Childhood and I am considering taking the Praxis II in Elementary ED. to boost my chances of employment. Not sure if your state is different.

I would suggest sticking with what you have as to not have to loose all the time and credits. you can add the Early with a masters degree and check into your states rules.
HollyRenea is offline   Reply With Quote