Scope and Sequence for Reading skills vs. strategy lessons - ProTeacher Community

PEPteach

Scope and Sequence for Reading skills vs. strategy lessons
Old 09-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm walking away from our reading curriculum. It is awful! I've been doing my own thing during whole-group reading for awhile. I do a lot of Strategies that Work lessons. I've read up on those strategies and feel comfortable with the sequence of those strategies, but I feel like it leaves out a lot of strategies...compare/contrast, character analysis, cause and effect, author's purpose, etc.

When doing my planning, how do you recommend hitting all these strategies. I've read that it is best to focus on one strategy for awhile, as opposed to jumping around (which is what the school's curriculum does). But what strategy do I start with?

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

parker

Here's what I do
Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

within each strategy (I've probably left some out):

Making Connections: authorís purpose, tone, theme, character traits, compare/contrast, for a purpose, story elements, genre

Questioning: research skills, fact/opinion, re-reading, predicting, cause/effect, study skills

Visualizing & Inferring: figurative language, drawing conclusions, character traits, story details, underlying themes, point of view, foreshadowing

Determining Importance: (with non-fiction) skimming/scanning, summarizing, evaluating info., authorís message, sequencing, problem/solution, compare/contrast, main idea

Synthesizing Information: retelling, summarizing, theme, generalizing, judgements
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

parker
Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for categorizing the skills into the strategies!
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

parker
Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's perfect! Did you do that yourself? That's exactly what I had in mind. Thank you!

parker

More on the skills/strategies
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, I didn't do this by myself...I'm not that good. I should have said so yesterday, but I was interrupted while writing the post.

On another teacher website, there is a board for teachers who read professional education books, mostly about reading, but not always. These people are brilliant, thoughtful, very professional teachers and I have enjoyed being part of that community for years, even though I more often lurk than contribute. Years ago, we read Mosaic of Thought and discussed it thoroughly.

What I wrote in my first post was the general consensus of the group about which reading skills fit best with which strategy. Actually, I think we really decided you can teach any skill with any strategy, but we were working on planning out the year and this is what we came up with.

I have a little more time this morning, so Iíll recheck my notes and revise:
(We thought there were some skills that seem to fit into more than one strategy and probably ought to be carried through all the strategies.)

Making Connections: is really ALL about compare/contrast: authorís purpose, tone, theme, character traits, story elements, story events and plot lines, text structure, genre characteristics and reading for a purpose

Questioning: research skills, fact/opinion, re-reading, predicting, cause/effect, study skills, locating answers in the text

Visualizing & Inferring: figurative language, drawing conclusions, character traits, story details, underlying themes, point of view, foreshadowing, text features (photoís diagrams, charts, maps, etc.), visual verbs, specific nouns, difference between prediction and inference, differentiating between plot and theme

Determining Importance: (with non-fiction) skimming/scanning, summarizing, evaluating info., authorís message, sequencing, problem/solution, compare/contrast, main idea, topic/details, persuasive material, perspective, fact/opinion, note taking, drawing conclusions, cause/effect, cue/signal words: for example, for instance, therefore, on the other hand, etc.

Synthesizing Information: retelling, summarizing, theme, generalizing, judgements, forming personal viewpoints, taking notes and organizing those to form a personal response

Please don't tell others that this is a "researched" based list, or recommended by Harvey and Goudvis, or anyone else, it's not. You may feel differently about where the skills fit best based on your current studentsí levels of understanding.

I just posted this in the hope it gives you a place to begin organizing your own teaching.

parker is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the additional information. That's fine that it isn't research-based. I have looked through them and I agree with most of the categories and I see the thinking behind it. I don't think there is one "right" way to teach reading, but I feel like this gives my instruction more structure than it has had. Very helpful...thank you so much for sharing!