Help

ARCHIVE

1st Graders and SAT's!!!!

>

N2Teaching

1st Graders and SAT's!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anybody ever heard of this?!? I teach first grade, and we will begin our SAT tests next week. I have been teaching for 3 years, and we have tested them every year. It's pitiful! These babies do not have the attention span for these type tests. I was curious to see if any of you test your first graders, or if we are the only one!?!?!?! Wish me luck!

N2Teaching
AL

N2Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Hummingbird

SAT Tests
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been teaching for 7 years and we administer the ITBS to our first graders every year.

I remember taking standardized tests even when I was in kindergarten.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Kindergarten SATs
Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been giving kindergartners SATs for 20 years. They actually enjoy them because they're not old enough to know that they're a TEST!! I tell them the principal wants to see how smart they've become in kindergarten. I also tell them that there are some 1st and 2nd grade questions on there just to be tricky so if they don't know an answer, don't worry, it's probably just one of those 1st or 2nd grade questions. And because writing is the hardest thing for a kindergarten student, they love the fact that all they have to do is fill in a bubble--that's cinchy (as they always say )

I only do about 20-25 minutes of testing at one time, there are lots of breaks.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

teach2all

Woo Hoo for us
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

this is the first year since I've been teaching that we will not be testing this spring. Our new asst. superintendent does not believe that the ITBS is age appropriate and so we will not have to give it this year!
teach2all is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Not any more.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught in Missouri, we gave the ITBS to our first graders. Most didn't care. Some, the really good students got headaches, some cried, one actually threw up. It was just too much for those first graders who understood that it was a test. I tried to play it down, but they had older brothers and sisters. Since I've been in Kansas, we don't test first graders. Yeah!

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

suem

test
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have taught in Illinois and South Dakota and neither of those states test until third grade. I keep thinking I would like to see some of the senators sit through 7-8.5 hours of testing!!!
suem is offline   Reply With Quote

eloise

K-2 Testing
Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our K - 2 all take the Stanford 10 (K does 4 days of testing!) I just finished 2 days of testing with my 2nd graders - the math portion being an almost 2 hour stretch....
eloise is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 03-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We give SAT-10 in the fall and spring. We also administer the NWEA. AND our kids that are mandated to take the state standardized test take that too. Ahhhh...charter schools. We're very data driven.

As far as thinking it's too much, I don't. We portion it out into smaller segments, and my kids are absolutely stoked to take it. We had a door decorating contest to get them pumped up about taking it. With my kiddos we used chart paper and made a HUGE list of all the things they could think of that we learned this year. They know it's a test, but they also know that it helps us know how much they learned, and what we need to work on more. They're proud to show how much they know. My kids WANT to take it. They're mad we're waiting until after spring break. They're also bragging about some of the extra things we've been learning [addition and subtraction to the hundreds place with regrouping and borrowing].

I really think the attitude of the teacher about the testing reflects how the students feel. I'm excited for them because I know my shining stars are going to do excellent, and I really feel like they've embraced that vibe and want to show me how much they know.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

lil annie

test, test, test
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach first grade in Texas and our district makes us give the TPRI and a math diagnostic in September, the COGAT in October, the ITBS in November, the TPRI again in January and the TPRI and math diagostic in April. The TPRI and math diagnostic must be administered one on one in absolute quiet and there is never money to hire subs for us while we test. I think we spend something like 43 days testing at least part of it. And then we wonder why it feels like all we do is test.
lil annie is offline   Reply With Quote