Wampanoag/Pilgrims - ProTeacher Community

Wgr3

Wampanoag/Pilgrims
Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any great lesson plans/activity ideas for teaching a social studies unit on the first people/Wampanoag/Pilgrims???

Also.... any places known for free/cheap field trips in New England area? We need to do some but budget is TIGHT!

thanks

Wgr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Make it Easy!!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kate Waters has some great books. If you have them in multiple copy or just read them aloud, you will have everything you need to teach this lesson. These books have photographs taken at Plymouth Plantation.

Use them in this order:
On the Mayflower
Sarah Morton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl
Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
Tapenum's Day: A Wampanoag Indian Boy in Pilgrim Times
Giving Thanks: The 1621 Harvest Feast

I have my students do a compare/contrast of themselves and Sarah Morton/Samuel Eaton...depending if the child is a boy or girl. You could also have your students do a compare/contrast of Thanksgiving in 1621 and their family's Thanksgiving celebration.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Comparing and Contrasting.doc (22.5 KB, 315 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Compare/Contrast
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is another compare/contrast form.

Of course, you could make this a prewriting activity, and then have your students turn their chart into several paragraphs.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sarah-Samuel Venn Diagram.doc (25.0 KB, 193 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinemeadow

Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Evan-Moor just sent out this free sample from one of their workbooks about the Pilgrims and the Wampanoags. Here is the link:

http://www.evan-moor.com/pickup/3700...&utm_campaign=

I think you can sign up to be on their mailing list and receive a free newsletter with samples on their website.
Pinemeadow is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

Plimoth Plantation
Old 09-18-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you go to the Plimoth Plantation website, they have lots of resources there. And you can get "letters" sent to you from the pilgrims and native americans via email.

deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

emg123

Pilgrim/Wampanoag
Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Wgr3,
First let me start off by saying that Plymouth Plantation is not cheap, but it is worth the the price. Because it is so expensive, parent volunteers usually pay the price of admission. The PTO subsidizes the trip so that the kid's cost is kept down and the teachers attend for free. I feel the trip is worth it because the students can physically experience everything that they have been learning in books, online, and on video. Not only do they get to visit the plantation to see how the Pilgrims and Wampanoag lived, but they also visit a replica of the original Mayflower.

There are two excellent books that I use. 1. If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern and If You Lived in the Time of Squanto by Anne Kamma. Both books are in question and answer form. There are also a couple of books in the True series. One is The Wampanoags by Alice K. Flanagan. There is a new one out, that I have not had a chance to preview, called Wampanoag by Kevin Cunningham. If your school has a subscription to Discovery online, they have some good videos. And as another proteacher mentioned, there is a lot of valuable material on the Plymouth plantation website. There is also a simulation that you can purchase. I don't recall the company, but I'm sure that you can find it online. Perhaps you could locate a Wampanoag in your area to come speak to your students.

My students compare and contrast the Pilgrim and Wampanoag and also themselves with a Pilgrim or Wampanoag boy or girl.

It is important to not gloss over the story of the Pligrims and Wampanoag, that everyone lived happily everafter following the first Thanksgiving. The fact of the matter is that the Wampanoag were here first and the arrival of the Pilgrims, and those that followed them, completely changed their way of life. After a peace treaty between the two groups was eventually broken with King Philips War, the Wampanoag lost their land and their way of life. Thanksgiving Day is not a celebration for them.

I hoped this helped.
emg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Plimouth Plantation
Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with the PP- Plimouth Plantation is expensive, but so worth it if you can find funding sources. Call the Education Department- they have had grants in years past that helped defray the cost of the trip. This year it is $13.00 per child, but the bus is the really big expense. Perhaps they will have some this year or have gotten grants that may help a district such as yours. Perhaps you could try to get Mass.Cultural money next year. The books cited are very good- be sure to check out the videos on the Plimouth Plantation site- they are excellent.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachjam

Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

http:// www. ainop.com/users/classroom/Native_American_Links.htm
http:// www. mrsthonus. com/

These are 2 great sites I use. Don't put the space in the address, though.
teachjam is offline   Reply With Quote