Help

ARCHIVE

Sample Grading System Help!!!

>

TeachingMRC

Sample Grading System Help!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, can someone share their grading system with me. I know this will vary by state and district. However, I will be a 1st year teacher, starting a new 2nd grade position and I'm not sure how I should structure my grades. I don't know if I should try to have one, or two assignement for each objective, how many points to assign to activities, if I should give homework points. I could really use some direction about how veteran teachers manage this process. It seems overwhelming. I have found what seems to be a great tool to aid in the process. A computer program called the class action gradebook http://www.classactiongradebook.com. Thank you.

TeachingMRC is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkjuice

Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We grade on a 1 to 4 scale, 3 being on grade level accoording to target standards for each subject.

We do not enter tedious little spelling tests and the like. Those should be marked to look back on and note understanding/mastery - but are not entered as a form of report card.
pinkjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Allycat

Allycat

Grading
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use gradekeeper at my school and I really like it. I don't know if classaction works the same way but gradekeeper allows you to break down each subject into a variety of subcategories that you then give different weights to: For example REading grade is based on this

DRA Score 50% (This is our principal's rule - It counts so much because students not reading on level should NOT receive a passing reading grade)
Daily Work and Centers 20%
Participation and Effort 10
Homework 10
Reading Open Response Questions 10

I usually make an assignment worth 10 points. 10 is outstanding 9 is high satisfactory 8 is low satisfactory (sometimes I give 8.5) 7 is Needs improvement, and 6 and below is Unsatisfactory.

I disagree with the previous poster about spelling tests - I don't think they are tedious (I don't weight them very heavily either but I do enter the score each week as daily work). My spelling words always have a specific theme we work on every week - we do word work practice in centers with the same theme, I have games that go in centers with the themes so when Friday comes around i do except them to spell the words correctly. (Theme meaning like short a, long o, words with consonant blends, etc....)
If you'd like to chat more indepth about my grading post a reply below mine and we can talk more about it.

apple annie

Consult with your second grade co workers
Old 04-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The first thing to do is see what they do. They will be able to tell you what the principal and admin require. For example in my school, we must have at least 8 grades entered each six weeks for reading, math and English, and six grades for science, social studies, and spelling. We must have at given at least three writing assignments for English, which we grade and average to give one writing grade. This counts as one of the eight English grades. We can give more grades, or grade more writng assignments, but this is the minimum required.
Knowing what you have to have at the end of the grading period really helps you plan your lessons and asssessments. I know that we will read and test on a story each week in reading for example, so I still need two more grades. I usually do a six weeks vocabulary review test, and then a skills review test toward the end of the grading period, to make eight grades total. In science and social studies, we usually have three test grades and three participation/project type grades. (Science labs, science and social studies research project, etc.) I do not give a homework grade in each subject in second grade, but I do give a weekly conduct grade. No homework results in lost points on the conduct grade for not being prepared for class. My kids almost always have their homeowrk, so this is working. I would give a homework/work habits grade in each subject if counting it under conduct didn't work. In math we have our assessments which are included with the text, but sometimes I will break the skills we are learning into smaller parts and give a grade in each part. For example when we do two digit subtraction, I will first give a test for subtraction without regrouping, then a test for subtraction with regrouping , and then a test with mixed problems. I always have a lot of math grades because of this, but that allows me to drop the lowest grade. It also helps me to catch kids who need reteaching before we get to far along on a particular concept.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

bethbeth81

anyone looking for a free grade program...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

should check out this site. Don't think this is what you're asking for, but thought I would share this anyway. This is the program that we use and I love it.

http://www.gradebook.com/

Under where it says "did you know?" you can sign up for a free version.

bethbeth81 is offline   Reply With Quote

flor2398

check out the report card
Old 04-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One bit of advice that I would give you is to ask to see a blank copy of the report card. This will give you an idea of what categories you should divide your gradebook into. For example, in a previous district the report card simply had a spot for "reading." The school that I work for now has a grade for "reading" but it also has subcategory grades for "comprehension" and "word attack." It also has a specific spot for a homework grade.

Then I would ask the other teachers what grades they take, and how many grades they take. You don't have to do it exactly like them, but you can use it as a starting point and refine it as you go.

Congrats on your new job, and good luck!
flor2398 is offline   Reply With Quote