Help

Social Studies

Biting off more than can chew?

>

Th'Stori

Biting off more than can chew?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher in a self contained classroom (grds 2 -8 ) with students who have severe emotional/behavioral issues as well as academic ones ( I'm looking to go median 4th grd soc studies level). I want to approach social studies from a "group memeber" stand point, with a focus on social skills. Meaning, we all are members of different groups including the one called "the world". I'm trying to find cirruculum that will facilitate this in an orderly manner, ie, a beginning point, at least. These first 2 weeks, I have made a connection of individual to group to community, I'm pretty much making it up. I have not found any cirrucula that addresses what I want to do and where I want to go with it. Am I way off base in this approach? Am I biting off more than can be chewed? Comments, ideas, suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Th'Stori is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

admirable
Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you have an admirable goal, and as long as you keep it simple enough for them, and progress slowly, it sounds doable to me. I've never taught sped, but have had a few mainstreamed in my classes, including into my honors classes.

Thing is - they do best with a very orderly, predictable schedule. And then - the irony is that they get flustered easily with the schedule. Still, it seems a daily/weekly schedule for this pseudo-government would be best.

I think I'd start with forming the groups (which you probably have already done) and letting each group create a "city" name that they represent. It should be something totally invented. Then you name the country - the whole classroom - maybe taking your name and the school's name and making some kind of short combination of the two. Ms. Cooper and Westside Elementary = West Cooper.

Then maybe each group make up a rule for the room and later submit it to the other groups for approval. 2/3 needed for passing, perhaps, and finally you add a couple and you have a Constitution.

And so forth. They could have an Olympics with how well they do on math quizzes, or with flash cards for math facts or geography terms, or even for getting all their work done in class.

They could "go to another country" - visit another classroom or even the playground where they write descriptions using colors and sizes for what they see.

Now I'm the one who probably is biting of more than YOU can chew. But I do hope I've given you at least one idea to get started. AJ
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Th'Stori

We were thinking of changing the name...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

of our classroom. Thank you very much. It seems you have spoken to gist of what I am looking for. This gives me quite a few options to think about. I appreciate your detailed response.
Th'Stori is offline   Reply With Quote