HELP!! Poetry for 3rd grade - ProTeacher Community

Turtle321

Turtle321

HELP!! Poetry for 3rd grade
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello

I need hints for a poetry unit for 3rd graders. I am student teaching but stumped as to what I should introduce. Any feedback would be appreciated!!! Thanks.

ConnieWI

Here are a few ideas!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

--Read a poem aloud, give a copy to the children, read it again, and have students make a visualization/picture for the poem. You will need to choose just the right poem for this activity…something that uses words to paint a picture.

--Borrow poetry books from your school or community library, and during independent reading, everyone reads a poetry book instead of a fiction or nonfiction book.

--Have students prepare a poem to be read to the class. Have them present it. It should have an introduction like "The poem I will be sharing with you is "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. I chose this poem because it reminds me I will have many choices to make in my life. Some of those choices may be like ones my friends make, but some of my choices will be just for me and much different from what my friends will choose."

--Here is a website I learned about at the ProTeacher website. You will get many poetry writing activities from this website. http://ettcweb.lr.k12.nj.us/forms/newpoem.htm

--My third graders love anything by Shel Silverstein. I have them memorize one of his poems, dress the part, and gather any props they might need. Then they present it to the class during the second last week of school. That gives them plenty of time to get it ready.

--During third grade, I teach my students to write haiku, diamante, acrostic, and cinquains. We also write seasonal poems. First we brainstorm things you see, smell, hear, and taste in autumn, winter, for Christmas, etc. Then we use this format:

Autumn Poetry Name_____________

I can see autumn.
I can see _______________________________ ___

I can smell autumn.
I can smell _______________________________ _

I can hear autumn.
I can hear _______________________________ __

I can taste autumn.
I can taste _______________________________ _

I don’t need to look at a calendar to know that it’s autumn.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just discovered another website
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to a search engine and google "A Pocketful of Rhymes." The poems at this site use descriptive words galore and have the reader guess what is being described in the poem. It is just great!

http://members.aol.com/Bvsangl/pocket.html

As I was cleaning and organizing at home (I'm on spring break), I ran across Partner Poems for Builing Fluency by Scholastic, which I just love.

You might also want to go to the third grade board and post your question. That group really knows how to help!

Last edited by ConnieWI; 04-13-2007 at 06:43 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

woodsie79

Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The first day of my poetry unit we always write a class poem. Each student is responsible for one page. Everyone starts with the same three words 'A friend is...' and finishes the sentence to tell what a friend is to them. Then they illustrate their page and we bind them together. I then read the compilation to the class and they can see that they just wrote a poem. I usually then move into couplets, diamond poetry, limericks, cinquains, haikus, etc.

When we get everything finished with the unit, I bind each child's book together with the poems they wrote and put them out for our 'Coffee House Poetry' presentation for our parents.
woodsie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
KrazyKitKat

KrazyKitKat

How To Make A Poem
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First you choose a topic
Example: Halloween
Then you think of something you like about it
Example: Costumes and Candy
After that, you write about it:
Example: