Massage Envy question - ProTeacher Community

eliza4one

Massage Envy question
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have one of these near you? Thoughts?
How good are the massages? How long do they (each massage) last if you buy that monthly membership deal (10 min.? 30?).
Do I have to get naked? (sorry-I don't do that!)

I am TRYING to do more for myself, but am pretty low maintainance except for clothes and jewelry (LOVE SHOPPING). I am also very stressed right now and somewhat depressed, I believe.

I've never had a massage, so I don't need anything super fantastic like from a spa or some other fancy place.

So-there are 3 things right next to each other that I thought I could do every Saturday 'just for myself'.

1) Massage at massage envy
2) Starbucks coffee
3) Dollar Store visit/shop

I think that might get my weekend off to a good start and hopefully relieve some of my stress/negativity/depression that has hit me ever since school began.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mme Escargot

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The massages are pretty good. I've usually had better ones at a spa, but they're also much more expensive. I definitely think the Massage Envy ones are worth the price ( but then, my DH calls me a massage-junkie. )

In my experience, they allow you to do whatever makes you comfortable. You can usually request a male or female massage therapist when you make the appointment. You do not have to get naked, though it's usually helpful to strip down to your underwear. They keep you covered with a sheet from the waist down, usually. You could also ask for only arms, legs, head and neck the first time if you're nervous, and then you could keep upper undergarments on too. They also check with you to see how much pressure you want -- gentle "Swedish" massage for relaxing, or deep-tissue to work out knots, or something in-between.

The monthly membership gives you discounted rates on whatever length of massage you choose. I've only ever used gift certificates there, and am not a member; but I looked into it once. I think members get unlimited $39 hour-long massages. ( That is, you pay your memebrship fee monthly + $39 every time you want a massage. ) There are 1 1/2 hour options too, but I don't remember the cost. I'm not sure if there are half-hour options. Certainly nothing less than a half-hour.

The session is usually 5-10 minutes less than a full hour, since they talk to you for a few minutes at first to find out what areas you'd like them to focus on, what muscular or tension problems you may have been experiencing, etc.

Most of them give you an introductory discounted trial massage, so you could maybe try it first before committing to a membership.

MissTrace

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been to Massage Envy twice, and the last time I went ahead with the membership. The one I went to gave a teacher discount. The introductory massage is about $50 and I'm paying $54 a month now. For the $54 a month I get one hour long massage a month, and I can pay for as many more as I want. I think the additional massages are around $50.

I've only had a massage a handful of times and I thought Massage Envy was comparable to the ones I'd had at spas.

Hope you find something to do for you!

PPCDTeacher

Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love massage envy! Ive been a member for awhile. 1st massage 1 a mo ) is $59. Each add'l massage in the mo. Is $39. I have the same girl every time. I go for deep tissue massages myself. You take off only the clothe youre comfy with. Its very relaxing and its a good deal. Spas charge over $100 for an hour massage