Help

Math & Science

Edible Cell project ideas?

>

ScienceSavvy

Edible Cell project ideas?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my second year of teaching sixth grade and I want my class to make a replica of a cell entirely out of food, and it has to be able to go 3 days without refrigeration. They also have to include the proper cell parts and label them correctly. They can do either a plant or animal cell. They asked me for ideas and all I can think of is making the cell out of jello, a cookie, and cake. Do you have any ideas for what the cell can be made out of and whatbsome of the parts can be made out of? Thank you.

ScienceSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mcquita

Cell Model
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My colleague does cell models with 7th graders. Question, do they need to be edible? I have seen beautiful cell models made from wood, beads, clay, etc. Perhaps have them make a model and label all the components properly; the edible portion can be an idea but not a requirement. Just a thought...
Mcquita is offline   Reply With Quote

MSScienceGal

Sorry...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

we stopped doing food for our 7th grade cell projects. Mostly because this year we are a peanut free school and do not allow homemade treats for parties, etc.

My students came up with some really great materials for their cells. One used clear silicone and another used hair gel for the cytoplasm. There was a lot of creativity. I did allow them to use candy...skittles, fruit roll-ups, airheads, and such.
MSScienceGal is offline   Reply With Quote

browardteach

might be too late???
Old 10-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dont' have the ability to upload documents (not enough posts...)so I'm copying and pasting my center directions. I did this with 4th graders. I also have on for plants that I posted underneath the animal cell as well as the student lab sheet. Hope you find this useful!
Cory

Cello-bration
"Animal Cell"
1. Today you will be making an animal cell replica.
2. Retrieve one bag of red Jello. The Jello is not completely set, so handle it with care.
3. Animal cells have 4 parts called organelles.
a. Vacuole: a tiny cavity filled with a watery liquid, called a membrane.
b. Cytoplasm: the jellylike material that makes up much of a cell, inside the cell membrane and surrounds the nucleus. It contains proteins.
c. Nucleus: a part of the cell that controls its development (kind of like the brain). It contains DNA.
d. Mitochondrion: an organelle containing enzymes responsible for producing energy
4. Now you need to turn your Jello into an animal cell. To do this you will need to add the 4 organelles to your red Jello bag.
5. While you are adding the ingredients to your Jello, you need to predict which organelle each food item represents (fill out worksheet).
6. Place 5 small marshmallows, 1 cherry, and 3 gummy worms into your Jello bag.
7. Once you have placed all the organelles inside your ziplock, SEAL it COMPLETELY and remove the air from the bag.
8. Place the SEALED bag into the glass dish.
9. Inside your science journal you need to define all 4 animal organelles (copy the definitions from this sheet #3).

Cello-bration
"Plant Cell"
1. Today you will be making a plant cell replica.
2. Retrieve one bag of green Jello. The Jello is not completely set, so handle it with care.
3. Plant cells have 5 parts called organelles.
a. Vacuole: a tiny cavity filled with a watery liquid, called a membrane.
b. Chloroplast: a thin membrane that contains chlorophyll, found in green plants and algae (this gives the plant itís green color).
c. Cytoplasm: the jellylike material that makes up much of a cell, inside the cell membrane and surrounds the nucleus. It contains proteins.
d. Nucleus: a part of the cell that controls its development (kind of like the brain). It contains DNA.
e. Mitochondrion: an organelle containing enzymes responsible for producing energy
4. Now you need to turn your Jello into a plant cell. To do this you will need to add the 5 organelles to your green Jello bag.
5. While you are adding the ingredients to your Jello, you need to predict which organelle each food item represents (fill out worksheet).
6. Place 1 large marshmallow, 4 grapes, 1 cherry, and 3 gummy worms into your Jello bag.
7. Once you have placed all the organelles inside your ziplock, SEAL it COMPLETELY and remove the air from the bag.
8. Place the SEALED bag into the glass dish.
9. Inside your science journal you need to define all 5 plant organelles (copy the definitions from this sheet #3).

Lab Sheet

Cello-bration: Animal Cell
Directions: Match the letter of the food item to the correct animal organelle (part).

A: small marshmallow B: cherry C: red jell-o
D: gummy worms

1. Vacuole: ________________ 2. Cytoplasm: __________________
3. Nucleus: ________________ 4. Mitochondrion: ________________

Cello-bration: Plant Cell
Directions:: Match the letter of the food item to the correct plant organelle (part).

A: large marshmallow B: grapes C: cherry
D: green jell-o E: gummy worms

1. Vacuole: ________________ 2. Chloroplast: ___________________
3. Cytoplasm: ______________ 4. Nucleus: __________________
5. Mitochondrion: _______________
browardteach is offline   Reply With Quote
lilasaid

lilasaid

Edible cell
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the information! Very useful and the students are sure to have fun!