Graduated in Decemeber? - ProTeacher Community

HollyRenea

Graduated in Decemeber?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any teachers on this site graduated from college in December instead of spring?

I'm graduating in Decemeber and I am worried about trying to get a teaching position. My University's Career center sets up county interview days during spring but I will not get these services in the fall/winter. Several County websites I have checked will not allow you to send in a resume at all unless there is a specific postion posted that you can apply for.

I really don't want to wait until next school year to try to get a job.

Not sure if there are any tips or advice of how I can get my name out there.

Even without having county interviews under my belt, do you think it's acceptable to go drop resumes at local school that I'm interested in?

I know of a few positions open right now but I am not able to get a job teaching until I actually graduate Dec 19th.

I am just very anxious and worried.

any input, tips or advice or similar stories would help

HollyRenea is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You're not likely to get a regular contract position for the second semester ( though anything can happen --- I did once ! ) But get applications in to every school and every district you can anyway---- both for teaching positions and to get on their substitute list. You have a better chance of landing a long-term substitute position for next semester, which can get your foot in the door with that school or district for a teaching position the next year.

There are always teachers going out on maternity leave, medical leave, etc. And sometimes teachers retire at the end of the first semester, which leaves their position wide open. But they usually look to fill such positions with subs, so if you're only in their data bank as a candidate for a teaching position, and not in their substitute files, you may never get the chance.

Administrators usually like to start lining up their long-term subs as early as they can, so I would get your applications in now. Most of them have a section for students who are expecting to graduate soon.
Mme Escargot is online now   Reply With Quote

HollyRenea

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have applied as a sub in 1 county. Others are not accepting sub apps at this time. But I will make more of an effort to go after sub positions once December hits.

grannyg

Hired for 2nd semester
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My first teaching job did begin with the 2nd semester. I kept an eye on the want ads in newspapers for any school within driving distance. I was getting married and couldn't move for another year. I was still finishing sr seminar where we were actually becoming introduced to applying, interviews, etc. I corresponded with the principal of that school directly and he set up the interview. I took a day off from student teaching and drove 200 miles round trip. It was an interview from hell!! BUT, I must have done something right. He called my cooperating teacher and principal about me. The next day, the cooperating principal asked me if I wanted that job. I SURE did!! He must have given a good word because I got the job. This was right before Thanksgiving for a teacher whose husband was transferred. My school even hired a sub for her/me to cover the 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas break and I started Jan 2. (graduated 12/22; got married Dec 29 moved - Jan 1) There was no guarantee my contract would be renewed the next year, but it was. So - I'd send inquiries, get online, talk to anyone and everyone you know in the area you want to teach. Our smaller, more rural schools often post openings in hometown newspapers so if you can access them online, that might be another source. Something just might open up and if you're in the right place at the right time - could be your lucky day!! Good luck to you. Keep us posted.
grannyg is offline   Reply With Quote

HollyRenea

Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

WOW! You had great luck!

young

Advice I received!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am currently in a Post-Bac Program, and I will graduate in Dec 2012. Both of my sisters teach and they suggested that a couple of months before I graduate to take my portfolio to schools in the area and let them know that I when I will be graduating! I think it is a good idea and may help! Good Luck!!!
young is offline   Reply With Quote