Treasures Reading Series Weekly Assessments - ProTeacher Community

Sam5

Treasures Reading Series Weekly Assessments
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We use the Treasures reading series and have to give the weekly assessments. This test is taking our kids forever to finish, and we are frustrated with it.

Anyone else finding these frustrating We don't feel like they match what the worksheets and story activities do during the week very well. Also, we do grammar and spelling separately so we don't include those questions on the weekly assessment. Then we end up with so few questions on the test that if a kid misses a few their grade really drops. We wish there were more questions about the passage they have to read. We do give some of the weekly selection questions (from the CD).

Does anyone else have issues with the Weekly Assesments? Has anyone rewritten them or revised them?

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kandcmom

Weekly assessments
Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I give the weekly ISTEP assessment every other week and I always to the test the goes with the skills from the week before. I do this to see what information the have retained. My students do it all but the writing promt. (We do enough writing during the week) Although grammar is not part of the reading grade I still count it in the total score since it is only three questions. My kids do not take very long to complete the test. Most are done in 15 to 20 minutes. It just depends on how careful they are. My students are expected to restae the questions on the short answer, so some of them take a while on that part to make sure they are happy with it.

Good luck!
kandcmom is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the tests stink too. I always look at the test before I teach the story to make sure i pull out everything that will be on it, but last week overlooked that the test included an irregular plural on one of the grammar questions when we're not even supposed to teach irregular plurals until next week! Most of mine got it right anyway, but I still had to throw out the question. I've started making up a back page for my tests that include questions from the actual weekly selection and the rest of the vocab. That gets it to at least 20 questions, so they're 5 points each instead of 8. I wish I could say that it's made a huge difference in their grades, but it really hasn't.
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

char123

Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school district is very into PLC (professional learning communities) and common assessments per grade level. The Treasures FCAT Weekly Assessment is our common assessment for 5th grade. Since, I don't have time to comver the grammer and spelling, I count that section as extra credit. It they get it right, it's one point. I do not take anything off if they get it wrong. By adding the extra credit, some students are able to pass the assessment. I agree with you, there are only 9 questions if you do not count the spelling and grammar. There really should be more comprehension quesitons. I don't add anymore questions, again because it has to be a common assessment. There is another teacher on my team, who has the students do the whole test and then rounds off to 20 questions. However, I do believe she is teaching grammar ad spelling (I don't know when thought!).

One thing I have done, to help pull up grades is on the third story of each section, I have them do the graphc organizer presented. If they have been paying attention and since the story is usually short, this is an assessment to pull up grades.

Hope this helps and lets you know you are not the only one out there!
char123 is offline   Reply With Quote

twintchr

Old 10-20-2011, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use the weekly assessments on even weeks, and the selection tests on odd weeks.
This is mandated by the district.
We count all questions, unless it is a bad question, and I agree, MMH tests have some unfair/poorly written questions.
Although the weekly assessments have grammar and spelling questions, we score the entire assessment and it goes into their "reading" grade. We have raised this as a concern, and it has not been remedied. The spelling questions typically raise the childrens' scores.
Wouldn't be nice to spend all this $$$$$$$$ on a curriculum you didn't have to fix?????????????????

twintchr is offline   Reply With Quote

puppygirl

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I give the selection test (cd) each Friday as a test grade. The weekly assessment I send home for homework as a quiz grade. It really is just covering the skill that was taught for the story and some of the vocabulary for the story. I teach my own grammar from a different book, but the students are familiar with the grammar on these weekly assessments.
puppygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Lindam5

Lindam5

Weekly test
Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree about the test. Some of my fellow teachers and I created are own test. We use the questions from the test along with the vocabulary but then we added other short passages and questions to cover skills and more comprehension. We target passages that cover identifying text structures; cause & effect, compare & contrast and etc. We also give a short quiz after they read the introductory story or article. It covers the same 10 skills every week. We can tell which skills or concept the student is struggling with and those they are consistently successful with. The students check their score and the skills from the chart I fill in in the front of the short quiz booklet. I mark each of the 10 categories with an x if they miss it. Their improvement or lack of is there in black and white week by week for them to see and shows them what skill they really need to work on or be more careful when answering.
We also typed out a separate vocabulary test where all the words are listed and they have to match words to definitions. Next they put in the missing vocabulary words in sentences or match them as an antonym or synonym. We also ask them to name the genre and skill objective for the week. We repeat it and give it to them everyday and think they should be able to answer these questions.