Preschool vs PreKindergarten - ProTeacher Community

kidatheart10

Preschool vs PreKindergarten
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone please tell me the difference between Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten? Is PK more academic, or does it have to do with the age of the students? TIA!

kidatheart10 is offline   Reply With Quote

fingrptlvr

Old 10-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my area:

Preschool - classes of 3's or 4's or a combination; Classes are half-day, usually meeting two to three times a week, sometimes five times a week; Often sponsored by churches; Classes require tuition; Centers do not require teachers to have B-K certification or to hold a teaching license; Do not require assistants to have early childhood credentials;

PreK - classes serving children who are 4 and who will enter Kindergarten the following year; Full day public school program, five days a week and meets DPI standards; Teachers are fully licensed and certified by the state. Assistants must have an early childhood certificate

Preschooler - any child who is not yet old enough to go to Kindergarten
fingrptlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

prekpb76

Pre-k
Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my school preschool is four 3's turning 4. They have the same curriculum but are taught at a different level than a pre-k class. So that when they do get to a pre-k class they have some idea of how to write,cut, etc.
prekpb76 is offline   Reply With Quote

BrownEyedGirl

Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Around here, "Preschool" and "Pre-K" are used interchangeably. People refer to it as either.
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bella9

Old 11-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At my school preschool is part time (meets 2 days a week or meets 3 days a week for three hours each time) and pre-k meets five days a week for three hours each time. When I have asked the teacher what the difference is she said that by meeting 5 days a week instead of part time the kids get into the routine of going to class every day. She said she also teaches a lot about how to behave in kindergarten ie: sitting in circle, criss cross apple sauce, raising their hands to speak. At our school the preschool teachers and the pre-k teachers plan together and do the same activities even. The only difference is the five days a week.

bella9 is offline   Reply With Quote