Number Formation - ProTeacher Community

Ms.Cupcake

Number Formation
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher and teaching numeral formation in kindergarten. I need more ideas to spice up math.

This is what I've tired:
1. white boards
2. rhymes for formation
3. tracing on each other's backs
4. practicing on paper
5. writing in shaving cream (my class can't handle this though)

Ms.Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote

joywalker

Numeral Song
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students love the Dr. Jean Numeral Song. I model writing the numerals while they practice on paper or white boards. They are getting better each week!
joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Bestercat

Numeral Formation
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A colleague and I purchased several Heidisongs DVD's together and I've been showing the shape songs and numeral formation songs off and on while the children eat snack, while they wait for busses to be called, and toward the end of Math Stations after I am done working with my groups and things are winding down. Most of the children LOVE the videos and are completely engaged, and some just do their own thing. But, the songs have a tendency to stick in their heads because I've heard them singing them as they practice their numbers throughout the week.
Bestercat is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

I second Dr. Jean
Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most of kids could not write any of the numbers on day one. We took it slow and practiced one number for two days with the song and other activities. WOW! They write beautifully and they sing the songs all the time. Here is a link to the CD:

http://www.drjean.org/html/shoppingPage02.html

It is called Sing to Learn.
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

kinder2uni

Letter formation ideas
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree the shaving cream can be a mess. We are not even allowed to use it in our district anymore because of allergies to the scented brands. I have had kids form the letters using salt on cookie sheets. If it spills, it's no big deal (you don't need a lot of salt and it's cheap). I also used the Ellison dye cuts to cut out letters and numbers using felt, foam, and sandpaper. The sandpaper one is especially effective for tactile learners. The only catch would be the starting point for the formation. I suggest you use something like a sticker or color to mark where to start each letter. Good luck!

kinder2uni is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would suggest using cornmeal --it doesn't sting in open cuts like salt (all it takes is a hangnail...).

I took the lids from some shoebox size Sterilite containers and used paint made for spraying on plastic--used a dark blue color and it works beautifully.

We play a game where each child gets to choose a letter or numeral card, then we all write the chosen item on/in the cornmeal. They LOVE it.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote