Help

ARCHIVE

Reader's Theater

>

Viola Swamp

Reader's Theater
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm having my students put on a reader's theater this week, but I'm not exactly sure what to do about a performance.

When you do reader's theater, do the students actually put it on for other people? and if so, for who??

We made puppets and are practicing, and they keep wanting to make it into a performance, does anyone know something I should do?

Viola Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

I have
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

had kids read the script in front of another group, but the focus is on reading accurately and fluently with expression. Having puppets to manipulate may be a distraction???

Sometimes, I have divided a class into three groups and had them do the same script and sometines have had each group do a different one, that way you can differentiate. Depends on the kiddos!

I was thinking of trying the Paperbag Princess with my intervention group. I would then have them "perform" (read) it to their class or the first grade. Having an audience really gives them a purpose. I was thinking, however, of scanning the pages from the book into a slide show, that way the readers could focus on their part, but the audience would have some visuals.
teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

nutmeg

Reader's Theater in my Classroom
Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do Reader's Theater on Fridays. Students are asked to wear a black shirt.

I have a class discussion to decide what type of props we need and then students bring in the props. We borrow music stands so that students have somewhere to put their readng materials. Sometimes, I make a back drop with the help of my students.

I give students a grade during dress rehearsal or the day of performance based on fluency, intonation, etc.............

We usually invite one or two classes to visit.

Good luck and have fun!
nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote

carrie3

Friday Assemblies
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school has an assembly every Friday and each grade must perform twice in a school year. We usually start at K and work our way up to Grade 6 and when everyone has performed we start the rotation over again. For my first assembly I did a reader's theatre. My first date was around Halloween and my Grade 3 performed The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. Last year we also did Click CLack Moo Cows that Type. The children really get a kick out of perfoming in front of an audience.
carrie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

nutmeg

Carrie
Old 04-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How fun! I might try to start Friday assemblys at our school. What a neat idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viola Swamp

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I just love this website and all the people on it

The kids don't really have puppets, they're more like paper animals on a stick that they will hold up when they are reading. I was thinking about asking one of the 1st grade classes to come in to watch, but I'm only student teacher and am afraid of overstepping my boundaries.... so I guess we'll see.
Viola Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote

nutmeg

Students will feel more validated
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

if they perform for others.

I currently have a student teacher. Students feel rewarded by having other students see them. I'm almost postive that you will not be overstepping your bounds.

Good Luck!

tia

fluency performances
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i try to get parents in any time i can, so i invite parents to these--and because our students are mixed for reading, both 6th grades are there. i have also invited our 1st grade reading buddies--but no more, the kids do get nervous.

one of my pet peeves is when people say they are doing reader's theater and they let the kids have elaborate costumes and complicated props and scenery. argh! plop their butts in a chair, have them READ, and make their expression do all the work. (okay, off my soapbox!) i like to have my students read funny poems for reader's theater.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

klc910

Reader's Theater Performances
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do a Reader's Theater every six weeks.

Monday: read the "actual" story from the book. They get one copy of the script to take home.
Tues-Thurs: practice- switching parts (focusing on fluency, voice and volume)
Thursday- they get their parts
Friday- perform - I reserve the cafeteria stage and let parents, other teachers and even our principals know when it is. Some parents can come, others can't, but I usually have an okay turn out. Usually about 5-10 parents make it and different classes come each time. The principals always try to show up, but they can't everytime with their schedules. The first six weeks I had the class share write an invitation to them.

The kids really enjoy it. I do two reader's theaters each time so that I have two groups. I have also learned this year a great way to pick parts. On Wed I have the kids tell me their 3 favorite parts. I usually works out that they can get one of those parts. If no one chooses a part I will ask the class if anyone wants that part and I even might give them a ticket (for the treasure chest) for switching. Some times I just tell them that next time they get to pick their part. The students are really good about reminding me of who gets to choose their part. I just found that if I let them give me a few options then I don't have hurt feelings.
klc910 is offline   Reply With Quote