Getting nervous to become a teacher - ProTeacher Community

MDteacher02

Getting nervous to become a teacher
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a junior in college, currently in a placement classroom and I love it. I love working with the kids and I can't wait to become a teacher.... But all of my teachers at my college are talking about "our future classrooms" and being an actual teacher in 2 years. And it's FREAKING me out. My first 2 years of college flew by and I know these last 2 are going to go by just as fast. I know it's 2 years away, but I keep thinking about all the things that are going to go wrong my first year as a teacher. I know I will be more prepared after these last two years of college, but it can't possibly prepare me for EVERYTHING. So I was wondering if teachers in their first few years could give me some advice on things that happened in your classroom that college/classes didn't prepare you for... and how you handled them?

MDteacher02 is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in my fourth year of teaching, and I am still trying to get a handle on everything. The biggest difference between my fourth year and the first year is that I am able to tell myself to take it one day at a time. Sometimes things don't get done, and I have learned that is okay. Don't forget to take care of yourself. You could work every hour of every day and you still would never get everything done. Don't get so swept up in what you have to do that you forget to ENJOY the kids and what you are doing. It makes a HUGE difference. Your first few years will be hard, especially if you teach a different grade every year (I have), you get laid off (I did), and if you are "Type A" (I am). Good luck!
MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote