Waiting Time - ProTeacher Community

happykids

Waiting Time
Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for some ideas for kids who are waiting in our meeting area while some others aren't finished working or dressing yet. Dry erase boards or books are my current go to. If I am not helping with the dressing or finishing, I can do some songs, but I need this teaching time too.

Any ideas for simple, easy clean-up independent activities?

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 10-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a box in my classroom called the "I'm finished box". It is where I put all the extra copies of worksheets (from when I make too many copies, or when the kids are off sick) that would otherwise just get thrown out. It is amazing how much the kids like to go through this box and redo activities that they have already done. If it gets a bit low on sheets (although it never seems to - I guess I need to photocopy less ) I just chuck in a few dot to dots, or colouring pages as those skills are essential at this age too.

oh and I forgot to add that all sheets from this box MUST be taken out of the classroom at the end of the day. As they are essentially practice activities I dont want them hanging around in the classroom for days!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes I play a very familiar book on CD and let one child sit in my chair and turn the pages of the book for the kids to look at. Sometimes I let a child lead the others in making patterns by clapping. I am curious though. What do you mean by "dressing?"
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Garden

Good ideas here
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do that too I also play the calendar songs and have someone repeat the calendar or read the room as a group. At this time of the year I just play the calendar songs.
Mrs.Garden is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the ideas...keep them coming.

When I say dressing, it is for the winter weather. We will be wearing snowpants from mid-october until April. UGGH!

I dream of living in a warm climate, I would get an extra 30 minutes of teaching each day!

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindre

counting while waiting
Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sometimes I lead counting by one's while we are waiting for some 'slow pokes' to finish getting ready to go. Usually I use my fingers to demonstrate counting (seeing the pattern of groups of 10's is good for them). We sometimes make it to 100 while certain kids finish getting their shoes on etc.
I'm going to begin having my 100's chart poster near the meeting area ready to put up on the chart stand for a student helper to point to so that those at the carpet can count with the pointer if I need to be helping someone away from the meeting area.

A fellow teacher has her grade 2's count to 60 to represent the number of seconds in a minute. They continue counting until the bell rings and then summarize how many minutes and seconds they were ready before the final bell rang.
Kindre is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow...I just found something to be grateful for - no snow pants! Our "time waster" is making sure everyone's water bottle has plenty of water in it since it is still in the 90s every day here .

Just remembered another good quiet activity. Have kids write letters on each other's backs to guess. (Words if they are ready)
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think the best thing is to teach them to go "read a book" in your classroom library. Not so attractive that they race through activities and this is a valuable, academic skill that they need to develop. We started September 7th and my students are already quite automatic whenever they finish something, they know they go "read a book".

Regie Routman in her Reading Essentials book said that "we give students all these skills/strategies for reading, but what we neglect is to give them time to actually practice using them. This is one way of addressing that need.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

DVDs
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a Smartboard and lots of Heidisongs dvds. Thank you PTA! After lunch recess I put in one of her videos--they love the numbers and counting and color word dvds! As the year goes on, we'll add sight words and more math concept dvds. I also have the Dr Jean's Building Better Bodies and Brains dvd.

It works beautifully! Those who are ready have something engaging and educational to do while I hurry the rest along.

MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote