Creative strategies for teaching phonics? - ProTeacher Community

LizLemon

Creative strategies for teaching phonics?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my second year student teaching but my first in a classroom that teaches reading and phonics. From what I have observed so far phonics seems to be a pretty straight-forward half hour lesson with dictation and then identification of letter sounds. I was wondering if anyone had any creative strategies they like to use for teaching phonics in a way that will keep the students engaged?

LizLemon is offline   Reply With Quote

LutheranPiggy

Engaging Phonics
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a similar lesson with my students using dictation as well as letter sounds. Once we have completed the letter I have a handout that the students enjoy. Scholastic has created fun flap phonics. Each page is based on a letter sound or a review of sounds. You then fold the sheet to create a "cootie catcher". The chinese fortune teller papers that I remember playing with as a kid. I like these because they engage the students and they don't look at it as work. It takes a little time teaching the students to fold the paper, generally you have a few that catch on and can help the others. Hope this helps.
LutheranPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

LizLemon

Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's definitely an interesting idea. We will have to see if it fits with the letter sounds that i'm teaching. Thank you so much!
LizLemon is offline   Reply With Quote

littleowls

The power of sticky notes
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For certain phonics rules or if you are using blending sounds it is fun to create a rule and have a student become that rule.

ex. Write on a sticky note CVCE and have a student wear it proudly on their shirt. Have the rest of the class write a word on the stick that follows that rule and come up and place it on the student. Then have the student parade around the classroom saying the words out loud. It's a fun way to make it hands on and spice up the class a bit.

You can always make it into a game too. Where one student knows the rule and the class has to guess words in order to figure out the phonemic pattern CVC, CVCE, ECE, ect. Or do the opposite where a student faces the white board away from the class with a sticky note on his or her back with a rule. Have students come up and write a word that follows that rule on the board until the one student with the rule on their back guesses it correctly
littleowls is offline   Reply With Quote