Help

ARCHIVE

Guided Reading/Reading Workshop

>

Windalynn

Guided Reading/Reading Workshop
Old 04-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone share the difference between guided reading and reader's workshop? I have 3 guided reading groups each day for 20 minutes. When they are not with me, the rest of the class are in literacy centers around the room. What is reader's workshop and how can that fit into guided reading?

Thanks!

Windalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

dlynneteacher

Reader's Workshop
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reader's Workshop is the big umbrella of your reading program. Reader's Workshop begins with a teacher read aloud to the whole group emphasizing a particular reading skill or reading strategy or reviewing/continued work on one. During this time, I focus on doing a lot of think alouds and anchor charts to teach the reading skill or strategy.
Next I break my whole group into small groups-i.e. the guided reading portion of reading workshop. It is exactly what you have put in your post, you meet with one group at a time, the other groups are at literacy centers. Then we come back together as a whole group to share a few students' examples of their reading with respect to the reading strategy or skill.
You probably already do this. In my class I have the beginning whole group and then I can only fit in 2 reading groups. So if you want to add the whole group reading, you may have to go down to 2 if you don't have more time.
Also, readers workshop includes time for fluency (I use poems mostly for this) and word work.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by dlynneteacher; 04-07-2007 at 09:49 AM..
dlynneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote