Poetry center ideas - ProTeacher Community

Amy

Amy

Poetry center ideas
Old 01-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello...I have a poetry center that I do everyweek as part of my language centers. What I do is put a poem up in the pocket chart and have the students copy the poem in their journal and illustrate a picture to go with it. However, some of the poems are long and I don't feel like the kids enjoy the center since they have to write so much for the poem....so I am looking for some new ideas of how I can revamp my poetry center. I teach second graders.

Pakular

Pakular

Poetry Center
Old 01-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students do poetry center once a week. The poem in the center goes with the particular theme we are doing and was introduced to them the previos week. I have the poem typed out and hole punched waiting at the center when they get there. They have to add the poem to their folder, reread it and do a skills sheet I have prepared from the poem (rhyming words, homophones, clusters, digraphs, base words/endings, nouns , verbs, adjectives, etc.). They have to pick certain words out. I choose these by the skill I want to assess. Then the students illustrate the poem. At the very beginning of the year, they only circle rhyming words (using a different color for each pair) and illustrate. It may be more work on your part at first, but once the poems and skill sheets are typed you'll always have them. Good Luck!

imacacher

Hi Amy!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use a poetry center too. I use the poem that goes along with the story in our reader (McGrawHill) but you could use any poem.

I have the poem typed up for the kids, and there is a standard sheet that goes along with it. It asks how many sentences there are in the poem (which is tough!). It says, "This poem is about.......................... ............................... .". Students are also asked to underline all of the nouns in green, underline the verbs in blue, and then circle any pairs of rhyming words--each pair a different color.

I like it b/c it ties in the grammar skills to, and its simple!
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Leah

sentence strips
Old 01-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also write our weekly poem on sentence strips and cut them up. The kids put the pieces back together in the pocket chart that I have in the poetry center. They like this... I guess it is because it is like a puzzle, and this group loves puzzles!
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa A

Poetry center
Old 01-16-2006, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have several poetry books at my center and the children get to pick a poem and copy it in their journal. then illustrate it or add another verse etc. Sometimes I have whisper phones so they read the poem to themselves and they love to use these.

Lisa A is offline   Reply With Quote
cberles

cberles

2nd grade teacher
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I see in your reply that you do 'clusters' in your poetry center. Could please give me any information that you can on how and what these are??? I have to do a presentation on vocabulary clusters for a class and have never heard of them. I know, I know, I probably do live under a rock, but I cannot find any info on these. Anything would be a great help!! you can email me at cberles@comcast.net
Thank You!
KEvans

KEvans

First Grade Teacher
Old 05-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my poetry center we try to change it each week. One thing that I do that the boys and girls enjoy is write the poem onto a large piece of poster board. Then I draw an illustration on it, not covering the words. Next, I cut it up like a puzzle and put it in a bag. The boys and girls have to put it back together and then complete a follow-up activity. The activity is usually a grammar related activity or will focus on the phonics skill in the poem.
Afoley1

Afoley1

2nd grade teacher
Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do something similar and I ran into the same problem. Now I type up the poem for each student to glue onto a piece of construction paper. They are supposed to read the poem and then draw a picture on the bottom half of the const. paper.