Poetry and Mental Images - ProTeacher Community

shantina

Poetry and Mental Images
Old 04-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to begin a poetry unit with my kids and tie in creating mental images. Has anyone done this before? If so, can you please give me some suggestions as I begin my planning?

heather818

off the cuff
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started this informally with my kids today. It was a very spur of the moment decision, but they really seemed to be getting it! Here's what I tried and where I'm headed:

I started the strategy by telling the kids a story. (I frequently use my dog as a topic for modeling writing in writer's workshop, so my kids are familiar with his stories.) I told a story about him, and asked the kid to visualize this. One link I made was between visualizing when reading (or listening) and the visualizing that we do when we write- planning a story by making a movie in our minds, choosing how to illustrate a piece, etc. The kids had no trouble making a mental image of the dog story.

Then I read aloud a Mercer Mayer (our current author study) book to the kids and asked them to visualize it. I didn't show the pictures until the end. Then we did thumbs up/ thumbs down to show if our mental image matched Mercer Mayer's illustration or was different.

Then I read the kid a poem. It was one from a Scholastic poem poster about Spring, and it was all about flowers. However, it is written in sort of a challenging way for the kids to get. We read it once, and then they sketched a mental image. Then they viewed the poster's illustration and got the "clue" that it is all about flowers. Then they re-drew their new mental images during a re-read of the poem.

(More than I'd usually do in a day- long story. Short version- I have visitors coming tomorrow and needed the prodcut from Step 3 to display.)

I happened upon some songs at the Mercer Mayer website, and plan to use them for the kids to read in partners and discuss their mental images tomorrow.

To continue the unit, I drug home Debbie Miller, Strategies that Work, and Starting with Comprehension. I'm using these resources to continue my planning. I am considering linking this strategy with inferring.

Let me know what's working well in your room. Happy planning! :-)

kaycee1128

You have to get...
Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Valerie Worth (All the Small Poems)
Georgia Heard (Creatures of the Earth....)
Kristin O'Connell George (The Great Frog Race, Fold Me a Poem, Little Dog)
...if you don't have them already.

I didn't have these when I did mental images but I really wish I did. I use them a lot now for read aloud and my kids always come up with great mental images. I think those poems are just perfect for mental images.

Meggin

Maybe these poems will help.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

These poems are written about something, but don't reveal what the subject is. Kids have to figure out the meaning by inferring and using mental imagery is one way to accomplish that. Maybe you'll like them:
http://members.aol.com/Eleehart/guesswhat.html

momof2cuties

Love the site Meggin!!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much! I love teaching mental images w/poetry. I have children illustrate what they are visualizing and then we share. Some of their interpretations are amazing! I wanted to do the poetry cafe' like Miller does in her book for parents. Have any of you done something like this?

clkelley

visualizing
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We're studying the rainforest in grade 2. We have read a poem called "Rain" many times. We discussed our mental images. Then I asked the kids to draw a picture of what they were seeing in their "mind's eye" and write the words that inspired this from the poem in a thought bubble. (I got this on the web somewhere.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc visualization.doc (27.0 KB, 1541 views)

Curious Cat

Mental Images
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have just begun a poetry unit also. Having just finished reading RWM for the first time, I am experimenting with my class and using lessons by Debbie Miller. It is working beautifully. I have been following suit with the many lessons in RWM. During Reader's Workshop today I read Greyling and we recorded mental images. During Writer's Workshop I read some of the poems composed by first grade students in RWM. I asked the class to use a graphic organizer with the 5 senses to list words the authors used to help create the mental images they got as I read. I am a new member, so I don't yet have the clearance to post attachments When we start brainstorming words for our own poems, I'll use the same graphic organizer.
Lizzie1022

Lizzie1022

Thank you!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a senior at University centered around education, I must say that these ideas and such from this page and this website have not only aided in my portfolios and in my lesson designs but are inspirational. The thought that there are teachers out there that do more than just so up and lecture to their students, seeing as how I have had many of those teachers before, gives me hope that I can learn from teachers such as the ones giving adivce on this website and become a better teacher myself.
Thank you all for sharing!

skittles77

skittles77

new unit
Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

yes i have done this and let me tell you it is a blast just find some good poems and ask your kids to highlight or unerline one part and draw a picture about that part and only that part!(vizulizing) try it and by the way what grade do you teach

April Price

April Price

Help
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Megan,
I can not get to the poems for mental images that you wrote about in your post. When I click on that website that you listed and aol screen pops up. I am searching for poems just like you spoke of. Could you send me a copy of the poems or tell me another way that I can access them? Thanks! April Price Kindergarten teacher (a2price#shelbyed.k12.al.us)

April Price

April Price

Help
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Megan,
I can not get to the poems for mental images that you wrote about in your post. When I click on that website that you listed and aol screen pops up. I am searching for poems just like you spoke of. Could you send me a copy of the poems or tell me another way that I can access them? Thanks! April Price Kindergarten teacher (a2price#shelbyed.k12.al.us)

Dong

Dong

Mental image and connection
Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I need your help.My daughter has a story "look at Lizzy swinging high.look at Lizzy tough the sky.Look at Lizzy riding fast.Look at Lizzy skating fast.Look at Lizzy whizzing round.Look at LiZzy on the ground .Looka at Whizzy,dizzy,Lizzy.where is the mental image and connection .please help me out