Relief at last - ProTeacher Community

ESDTeacher98

Relief at last
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had posted last on the vent II message board about feeling burned out and bummed about my students not being the best listeners and too loud. I'm feeling better about them today. Over the weekend (it was a 3 day weekend), I was invited on a trip for the weekend. I decided I deserved a trip and would not take any school work to do. I had a great time and did not feel even the slightest bit guilty for not lugging my school bag with stuff to grade with me.
As a result, I did not have as much corrected work as usual to hand back. I explained to the class that I do not give them weekend homework b/c I expect them to work hard all week, and for me, even though I work hard for them all week and I still work hard every single weekend and I decided to take a trip this weekend (as I'm sure some of them did as well) and I did not grade as much as usual, so their returned work folder was a little thin today. Several chimed in at that point and said, "Good for you--you deserve it!" I was so touched--these are elementary kids and they realized how how I am working for them and could think outside of themselves and care about me, which is one of the life skills that I always try to foster each year.
I went on to explain that I knew they were interested in the results of their test last week and I did grade that. They thanked me and they were excited about that. I did apologize for the spelling test not being ready to one student and she said, no worries.
I think I'm finally starting to get some relief for my burnout misery!
Thanks for reading and thank you to all who posted advice on these boards for teachers to take care of themselves and that the work will be there for you when you are able to do it after taking care of yourself. What a good day!

ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Janie45

Good For You
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am feeling burnt out as well. This was inspiring. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Janie45 is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Kudos to you for taking time for yourself! A trip here and there is crucial for staving off burnout. Also, it is great to know the kids see you working hard for them.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote