Help

The VENT

Free Jeans Day

>

Renea

Free Jeans Day
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your district ask you to donate to charities so you can wear jeans? We are asked to pay $5 for each Friday we wear jeans. I gladly support many charities but for some reason this irritates me. Some times we are given a free jeans day because our students score at high levels on district tests. That seems like a small reward for major achievements. Maybe it smacks of treating us like the children we teach. Must be getting grumpy in my old age. Yep, that's it. I'm officially grumpy.

Last edited by Renea; 11-18-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That would bother me, too. It's an unspoken rule that we can wear jeans on any Friday...free of charge!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Students and staff can wear jeans only on half day Fridays. On other Fridays, our school clubs sell "jeans passes" for $1 or $2. You get a sticker to slap on your jeans. I love wearing jeans and am happy to support our drama club, student council, groups raising money for field trips, etc. I think I might feel the same way if the money were in support of the Humane Society or breast cancer. Just my opinion!
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

jeans
Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! I can wear jeans any day that I want. There is no rule. I tend to wear them on Fridays and go a little dressier the rest of the week but I can wear them any day.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a professional dress code at all times. We all wear blazers daily. That said, I'm happy to donate my $5 to whatever student group gets to sponsor our jean days. I don't think wearing jeans to school is professional on a regular basis, so unless there's a good reason [like raising money to go to DC, NYC, and on college visits].

Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

my2dogs

Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We can wear jeans on Friday. We can donate $40 dollars a year of $5 a month to wear jeans on Wednesday.
my2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can wear jeans any day, and frequently do.

I'd be extremely irritated with the practice of requiring us to pay to do so. I also don't understand why it would be ok to wear jeans on certain days (Friday) and not other days. This makes no sense to me.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

lab112

Fridays only
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are only allowed to wear jeans on Friday--but we don't have to pay
lab112 is offline   Reply With Quote

dooley teach

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We also can only wear jeans on "Jeans Day." Since the students wear uniforms, they must also pay a $1 donation to wear jeans. Today, in fact, is one of our few "Jeans Day." Any other day of the week we must wear "professional" clothing and the students have a strict uniform dress code to follow.
dooley teach is offline   Reply With Quote

lovebrc

We pay....
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We are allowed to wear jeans on payday Fridays only. We need to pay $3.00 by Thursday of payday week. If we are late and decide to wear jeans but didn't pay then we owe $5.00. We can pay for the year at the beginning of the school year. The price is a bit steep to me, but since there are some weeks where jeans help the week go by faster then I will pay. Our money at the end of the year gets split up between different charities.

lovebrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 11-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We can wear jeans on payday Fridays for free. If we want to wear jeans on the alternating friday, we have to wear school colors or "spirit wear". I am all for fostering school spirit and most in my building wear school colors every Friday.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mzip

Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We used to get to pay for jeans days....but this year they implemented a ZERO Denim policy. I don't want to wear them everyday, but it would be nice every once in a while to get to wear them.
Mzip is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

I am...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

glad I don't have to pay to wear jeans. We can wear them whenever we want. I wear jeans everyday. They are nice and kept in good condition.

You would think with all the other stresses out there that they could relax on the whole jeans thing.

kindygirl

Old 11-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

we can also wear jeans any time we want....but i tend to only wear them on friday with a school t shirt for spirit. i would not like to have to pay to wear them....even if it is for a good cause. i would rather just donate to the cause. if they made me pay to wear jeans i would not wear them just to be spiteful. i hate that kind of stuff.
kindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

gymbob

No Jeans
Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

unless we pay. And that only happens twice a year. We have a lot of spirit days when we are supposed to wear certain colors. I get annoyed at being told what to wear. My school is not very staff friendly. If they were a bit more flexible with the staff, while still having high expectations, then the school climate would be better.
gymbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Until last year, we could wear jeans any time we wanted. Last year they became unprofessional. Then we were allowed to wear them on Fridays if we paid $1. I didn't wear them last year because I think that if they are unprofessional on Monday-Thursday, then they are equally unprofessional on Friday. This year I've worn them a time or two. The thing that gets me is that the "jeans police" stop by during class time to collect money and highlight our names on a list.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
I think that if they are unprofessional on Monday-Thursday, then they are equally unprofessional on Friday.
I agree, and this is why paying to wear jeans or only allowing them on Friday makes me angry. I would understand if the school adopted a policy of "no jeans" with the idea that jeans were unprofessional.

But if they allow jeans on some days, and/or make you pay to wear them, then it's obvious that it's less an issue of professionalism than it is of control. I would chafe under a system of someone else deciding day by day if I can wear jeans or not.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Who me?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't know what I'd do without my jeans. I wear it once a week. Last year however, I had a group from he!! and was always tired and irritated so I wore jeans daily. I just didn't want to dress up or even bother with it.

Last edited by Who me?; 11-18-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Who me? is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I know of a school that the principal insists that the staff wear the uniform colors (blue and white) but they can't wear jeans. So a teacher can't wear black dress slacks and a colored blouse yet can wear blue sweatpants and a white t-shirt. The staff is in fear of her so they go with it. Now, would you rather see a teacher wearing dress pants/blouse in any color they choose, or blue and white sweats?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
testgiver

testgiver

Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The 'jeans police' is one of the craziest things I've ever heard of! Is this person a paid employee? Tax payers should rebel. Teachers should rebel. I know there are a lot more important things the 'jeans police' should be doing. I remember one day our ap came into each classroom just to see if anyone wore jeans. Really ticked me off. AP gets paid more than we teachers but has the time to check for jeans.

Moana Mel

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I think paying to wear jeans is a strange thing, for reasons already stated. I'm so glad we don't have that policy around here! I had never heard of it till I joined PT. $5 a week is pretty steep too.
Moana Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Who me?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
I know of a school that the principal insists that the staff wear the uniform colors (blue and white)
Our super tried that, and teachers called the union in two seconds. Hehehe. He backed down real quick . Love my union.
Who me? is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Jeans for Jesus
Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

The Catholic School by us does Jeans for Jesus.. It cracks me up! As for us, we can wear jeans every Friday...WOOHOO
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Jeans
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

If I wanted to wear jeans every day, I could. There is no dress code in my state. If you impose one, you have to provide a clothing allowance or a uniform.
If I wear jeans to school, it is usually on Friday when we wear our team shirts during football season.
I really don't think that jeans are professional dress, but are nice to wear when doing messy stuff in the classroom. Mine are in great shape.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended

Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

A lot of business charge to wear jeans. On a professional note, unless you are on a field trip or have a very, messy project, you should be dressed like a professional, not a slob.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We can wear jeans whenever we want. Shorts, too. I tend not to wear them in my current job because I like to dress a little nicer. I used to wear them all the time, though.

to the OP, the situation you are describing does sound a little like treating you like your students.

What gets me is all the expectations for educators to pay more and more money for things to benefit the families we teach. A number of families I teach are far better off than me to begin with, especially since my pay goes down yearly.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Keep Going

Once a month
Old 11-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

We get to wear jeans ONCE a month, on a designated Friday. Teachers must pay $2.00 each time and it is donated to a different charity each month.
Keep Going is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL1

Donation
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We have had a change in administration this year so our "Jeans Friday" has changed. We can wear jeans on the last Friday of each month as it has been designated as Spirit Day. Jeans can be worn with a school shirt. If you want to wear jeans on the remaining Fridays you can donate $20 to the American Cancer Society. It turns out to be $80 per school year as the $20 is for each quarter. I don't mind the donation as my mom passed away from cancer. I feel like it is going to a good cause so it isn't an issue with me.
TLL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

binx

Jeans
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

We are asked to donate to a charity to dress casually. In the past we didnt mind so much- helping those less fortunate than oursleves; however, after taking a 10% pay cut, having to pay 20% of our insurance, raised deductibles and such... we are the ones needing our own charitable contributions. Sigh.. I just am having a hard time to donating money I dont have.
binx is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmama

what?!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

That is so absurd it is almost funny
twinmama is offline   Reply With Quote

superteacher0

Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

DriventoBG.... I totally agree, but I don't have any room for clothes in my budget on my first year teachers' paycheck. (I am actually in my 5th year, but I am paid less than my first year of teaching - same school, same district.) And I teach little kids who paint my nice clothes, cut me with scissors, or I get my nice clothes caught on things and they rip. I think wearing jeans once in a while is okay! When I wear them, I wear a professional-looking top.

My school has one jeans day a month.
superteacher0 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I strongly feel that what you wear has no bearing on how 'professional' you are. There are teachers that look very put together who are crummy teachers with no classroom control and who do next to nothing because it's only a 'job' to them. But they sure like to dress up. I'm unimpressed. You get treated as a professional because of how you conduct yourself and how you carry yourself. Although I personally like to get dressed up, I don't object to my coworkers who wear jeans every day. I do object to coworkers who are slackers who don't do their jobs. Instead of being the clothing police, I wish administrators would look at job performance.

Our district tried to pull the no jeans thing on us and as an active member of our union, I strongly objected. It got shot down quickly.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

legal???
Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I too teach in a state where the union would intervene and disallow charging to wear jeans. We have the UNITED WAY and two other local charities that we donate to on a strictly volunteer basis. (amount that is) I have taught for many,many years at my elementary school and Friday has always been our Spirit Day for school shirts, jackets, and jeans. Even though we have an unwritten rule about no jeans, many teachers wear jeans throughout the year. I can tell you though, they are very nice and dressy. No tie dye, whitewash, or faded ones. Now that you mention it, I don't recall our
8 male teachers at our school ever wearing jeans! They don't wear tennis shoes either! Maybe they have a different code than us gals??? ★★★ Go figure!!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

kklteach

I pay to wear jeans
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

At our school it was the teachers' idea to do a jeans Friday. Also our idea to pay $1.00 to wear them. We've given money to lots of worthwhile causes, so I'm happy to do it.
kklteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TexAg2000

no denim
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We have a strict no denim policy for everything. We can't even wear jeans for staff development days when the kids aren't there. I worked in another district in which we could wear jeans every Friday. But they would do fundraisers every now and then and let us pay $2 to wear them on other days.
TexAg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Pen3

Jeans
Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

In my district we can wear jeans whenever we want. I usually wear them on Fridays. there are some teachers that wear jeans every day with tennis shoes. I perfer to wear skirts and dress pants most of the time. I would not like to be told what to wear.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

I must be grumpy too.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I moved to a new school this year that does the same thing. I had never heard of that before and thought it was a bit ridiculous. I feel a little bad when the students come around with their envelopes collecting money and I haven't worn my jeans. I don't like it.
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote

marshe

Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I teach at a private Christian school (this is my 1st year here).
At the beginning of the year we were all given an envelope with $5 in it, we could keep it or donate it back to the school...and if 100% of the staff donated $10 total the entire school could wear jeans on Fridays. I was a little annoyed because we would then get emails from the superintendent about how the high/middle school campus were doing compared to the elementary campus.
Both campus donated 100% 3 months into the school year so we can now wear jeans every Friday.
marshe is offline   Reply With Quote